Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scenario: 2 identical 1965 Mustangs. Both completely restored and considered #1 cars. The only difference is one was restored with only 40K miles, and the other restoration occurred at 190K miles. Would there be any difference in the value of the 2 cars?
Thanks, Jim Finley

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Just my 2 cents, and worth every penny. If they were both #1 cars sitting side by side, identical as you say, who would know the difference? A well done restoration should put the cars back on par with each other and little if any price difference. I have bought a couple of fully restored cars and have never questioned the original milage.

jim

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
You would not think that it would, but in my opinion it would change the value. People associate miles with wear, and like every restoration, there is no way to tell how good the resto was done on the things you can't see. Even assuming both cars got the exact same brand new everything, value is about perception. The difference may not be thousands, but there would be a difference.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I've seen a web site for a Mustang restorer in Ca. They restored a 70 Vert and the total price was $9500. They tore the car down, repaired it and rebuilt it. I'll try to find the site for you.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
If you were to end up with one of my restorations then you would have no idea what the original mileage is since I turn the odomenter back to 0 on all cars I do a full resto on. I do not record the original mileage either and on cars this old it is not required by law to have an accurate accounting of actual mileage in Texas. When I'm done with a car every piece that could possibly wear has either been fully refurbished to like new condition or has been replaced.

G

·
0 Posts
Well, what if the 40k mile car had been laying in the dirt in Northern Ohio? I certainly wouldn't think the mileage would add value. Especially if the 190k car was a desert car with no rust or accidents.

Mileage is very subjective. I would be more interested in the history of the 2 cars and where they originated/came from before they were restored.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Actually the question has no answer. It's simple economics. If the car you're talking about has an audience, it's worth money. If it doesn't have an audience (for whatevre reason mileage, desire, situation...as in maybe a ton of cars have been restored for that year and the supply excedes demand, etc. etc.)

If the cars are equal and you're talking to an audience about selling, maybe or maybe not milage will matter.

I won't fault mileage if I know the car is taken care of and the drivetrain and body are in good shape.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Let me also add that :

I wouldn't pay more for a car with higher miles compared to the same quality with lower miles.

But for the same price, I'd take the low miles car...just in case.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
The 40,000 could have been 140,000 or 240,000

I would not pay one red sent more for it without.

IIf the car was beat up enough at 40,000 to require a concours restoration then even the original mileage won't add value.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
For me,

Several things would play a part on whether the 40k car is worth more such as;

If new sheet metal was used during resto or original was usable (preferred later).
Documented miles & history.
Whether NOS or Repro parts were used during resto.
documented restoration
Original documented options (anyone can add options, but a window sticker or proof showing they actually came with the car is a bonus)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts