Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I working on my 68 Fastback with plans for an EFI/T5 conversion. I've had several Mustang projects over the years with high hopes for each one, but none quite turned out right. My goal is to have an awesome daily driver when I'm finished that will turn heads and leave bowties looking at my tail lights.
My question is; where would you start? Should I concentrate on body and interior first and suspension and drive train later? Or, vice-versa? What have you guys done? I want to take it off the road until I'm finished 'cause I don't want to drive a half-finished project. Looking for suggestions.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
i'm doing this order and i like it

1- floor pans
2- suspension - rebuild and detail the underfender areas, etc etc
3- yank the drivetrain, do all mods and detail the undercairriage and engine compartment
4-bodywork and paint
5- interior

works out best this way. You wont screw up your paint job while doing the undercarriage or drive train. you wont screw up the interior when you paint.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like a reasonable plan.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would reverse body work nd interior, I have been painting my dash and interior metal and found it a real pain to mask huge area's of my ext to paint my int. where as had I done it the other way around I could just button up the int. easily (i.e. roll up the windows, close the doors) while working on the outside.

Best,
John

·
Registered
405 Posts
I think i would have to do the drivetrain and suspension first because you'll want to test the new engine and work any kinks out of it so if the interior is done you will be getting grease all over it. Just my suggestion

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
The 68 fastback is one of the most beautiful cars ever made. It looks fast even when sitting still. You could spend thousands on exterior modifications and you won;t get much wow for the buck. The interior is best left stock, Any mods you make will stick out more than compliment. So except for necissary changes like speakers i'de just buy repro interior parts that will just drop in.

structure first. Be sure the unibody is solid. A hole in the floor pan won't kill you but its significantly more than that the car could fold in half. For other safty issues on the mustang you can do with them as you wish. Personally i think of the mustang like a motorcycle and drive defensivly.

You should look to get a traction loc or some other rear end. Something like a 3.90 or 4.11 would be real nice given the fac that you have an overdrive. An 8" would hold the power of a anaturally asperating 5.0, for a blower you should thing 9"

Tires, you need as wide of tires as you can to get the fastest take off from a stop. it seems like 235 r60x15 front, and 245 r60x15 in the back are about as large as fits with ease. The fendors can be rolled and other cutting to get bigger but you peobably don't need it. A set of 235's on a pair of 4.11's should be able to light them up if you wanted to but with just a bit of caution will launch real nice for a 1/4 mile run.

If all you care about is straight ahead speed the suspension woun't need that much work, just some good shocks, and the shelby drop. Maybe some stiffer springs and a rear sway bar. Remember this is all a shelby has.

if you want the car more nimble you can spend thousands on suspension upgrades. to make it rack and pinion, tubulara a-arms. Only go coil over if you want speed at the price of all comfort.

You need to convert to front disc brakes either as part of the suspension upgrade or by simply doing the granada swap. There is no compelling reason to convert the rear brakes to disc but conversions are available.

The car needs to be painted up. A simple reshoot looks real good but you should stick to the stock color.

You need a good stereo which is more painful than you can imagine with a mustang but is a whole other topic.

On my 67 convertible the only body modification i have planned is front and rear valances. The rear for duel exhaust, the front to open the area under the bumper to the radiator which i probably mount lights in.

If the 5.0 is a high output you can add a supercharger pretty cheaply. if it s atandard 5.0 you should probably beef it up a bit if you want to supercharge it. Something like the paxton bolts right up to the 5.0 or a kenne belle.The High Output is also tolerant of nitrous. But thats a supercharger OR nitrous. You would need race gas to run them both.

In the end it always comes down to budget. The nice thing is that even on a low budget you can end up with a great looking car, on a large budget you can come out with a real show piece.

I hope this answers the question.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
There's lots of advice on how to do the EFI/T5 conversions on the www. The only thing I can add to help ensure your success is don't cut corners (either you have the resources to do the swap or you don't). If you don't follow this advice, don't blame us if its half fast!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with you. The idea of an EFI swap came to me about 10 years ago, before they became popular and every one was scared of EFI. I even started collecting EFI parts back in '92. I've also been collecting info and talking to everyone I can think of. I've seen several examples, some looked like the factory installed it and others looking like a nightmare. I've always been a perfectionist (borderline obsessive / compulsive) and tend to go a litte over board to achieve the results I'm looking for. It may take me twice as long but in the end I think I'll have car to be proud of. Thanks for the input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts