Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well he restored it, to a point albeit not concours.

I don't see any problem with it.
Now if it was called restored and the engine had 33 years of dirt, oil and grime but a 20 foot paint job I'd worry more.

This still would require a hands-on look before purchase.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
I'd call it a nice car!!

Your question infers that the word "restoration" as applied to vintage cars is broadly misused. You'll get no argument from me on that point. I suggest that "restored" is more correct when referring to a concours trailered type of car. IMHO most of the cars advertised on ebay as "restored" really are "refurbished", "rebuilt" and/or "modified" to some degree or another.

Reminds me of the also misused term "rust free"; does that mean the "absence of rust" or that there is "no extra charge for the rust"?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would like to understand how some people can slap a quick paint job on a car and "MAYBE" a new interior and call it a restoration look at the following car and tell me what you would classify this car as:

web page

According to Websters the term means:

To bring back to or put back into an earlier or original state

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I do not understand your question? The steering, engine and transmission are rebuilt, so it's more than a paint job. Are you suggesting it should be called a restomod because the engine has been modified?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
He restored the car. He did'nt restore it to the way it rolled out of the dealer, he restored it to the way it was in it's early life. And did a very good job.
I'm restoring my 68, will it be concours? No, will it be close ? Yes. After several thousand hours of work and a boatload of cash and done well, I hope people will consider it restored.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Someone buying that car SHOULD do their homework and realize they aren't getting an concours ride but I don't have a problem with him using the term restoration. I consider what I did to my car a restoration even though it's not concours.

·
Registered
71 Mach1, Mcode, AOD, 4 wheel discs, Ram air, Cragars in Vermilion Fire paint.
967 Posts
"1973 73 Mustang Mach 1 351 Ram Air Gorgeous not 71 72"

I personally wouldn't go out of my way telling people it's a 73 instead of a 71 or 72!

It all comes down to buyer beware.
It's a free country and people ARE allowed to called it "fully restored" if they so choose.

It's up to the rest of us to do our homework first, ignore the hype and bid on it for the way it currently is if we so please to....

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
"1973 73 Mustang Mach 1 351 Ram Air Gorgeous not 71 72"

I personally wouldn't go out of my way telling people it's a 73 instead of a 71 or 72!
That's just a way to get the car to come up under '71 and '72 searches.

Joe

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have never used the word "restored" or "restoration", because I will hopefully never be finished :) I think it is a little rigid to insist that a "restoration" requires a rotisserie style stripping and refinishing of every surface/component. I have not done that to either of my mustangs and I don't think they need it. I love to restore mustangs for the enormous investment of time, money and blood... not for a concourse showfloor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts