Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Mustang GT Convertible
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, the voltage regulator in my 69 Mustang with a 390 worked great but it was pretty ugly and worn out looking. Instead of getting a reproduction, I decided to see if I could restore the one I had and save some money.

I cleaned it up, sanded it, wet sanded it, and then painted it with Plastikote 224. Then I found an image online of the C8AF-10316-A stamp that was put on the factory Autolite voltage regulator. I edited the image and created a rubber stamp online. Then I bought some silver ink, stamped the image on it and clear coated with clear engine paint.

It may not be perfect but I think it came out pretty good. Before and after pictures below.

Total cost: $24 (I already had the Plastikote paint)

ORIGINAL

RESTORED

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Looks great. Would you consider sharing the stamp, I’ve refinished mine but it’s just blue since I didn’t have a stamp.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Very cool! Looks fantastic! I bet it is a lot more rewarding than buying one too.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very cool! Looks fantastic! I bet it is a lot more rewarding than buying one too.
Thanks Mike. It was rewarding. It's nice when something works out like you planned.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks great. Would you consider sharing the stamp, I’ve refinished mine but it’s just blue since I didn’t have a stamp.
Thanks and sure. I'll message you about the stamp.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Nice work.

Reactions: 69convert

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Very nice. Mine used the yellow stamping (A/C cars) and I have the yellow decal so I used that. Clear coated over it to make sure it does not peel off and is easy to clean. I took mine apart and painted the box blue first. I used new electronic innards and screwed the old top to it and you cant tell, EXCEPT, I need to replace the screws with rivets. So now I am looking for a pair of compatible rivets to finish it off.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Most excellent! Simple idea, once someone else thinks of it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts