Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Mustang GT Convertible
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Very nice. Mine used the yellow stamping (A/C cars) and I have the yellow decal so I used that. Clear coated over it to make sure it does not peel off and is easy to clean. I took mine apart and painted the box blue first. I used new electronic innards and screwed the old top to it and you cant tell, EXCEPT, I need to replace the screws with rivets. So now I am looking for a pair of compatible rivets to finish it off.
View attachment 761871
Awesome!!!!

·
Premium Member
11,818 Posts
I used new electronic innards and screwed the old top to it and you cant tell, EXCEPT, I need to replace the screws with rivets. So now I am looking for a pair of compatible rivets to finish it off.
View attachment 761871
The old mechanical style regulator used screws to retain the cover so that a mechanic could remove it and adjust the contacts. The electronic regulators have rivets because there is nothing inside to adjust. If you have installed a large mechanical style cover on your electronic regulator it should be fastened with screws to be correct in appearance.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
What type of screw are correct?

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
That makes it easy

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
The old mechanical style regulator used screws to retain the cover so that a mechanic could remove it and adjust the contacts. The electronic regulators have rivets because there is nothing inside to adjust. If you have installed a large mechanical style cover on your electronic regulator it should be fastened with screws to be correct in appearance.
From the MCA 2019 69-70 Shelby judging rules:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
As noted above, at some point Ford switched to rivets to secure the cover to the base as shown in the attached image of an NOS regulator found on eBay for a regulator being sold by Bob Perkins. It requires special tools to install these tubular rivets properly, but it can be done. I have the tools and the rivets and can do the installation for anyone who wants the OEM look. Send me a PM for details.

D0AF-10316-A-NOS.jpg

21 - 30 of 30 Posts