Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to do something with the grill for my '69 before putting it back in--it looks a bit tired. Were they painted originally? If they were painted, what color were they?

Is there any "easy" way to clean it up?

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
No, they were moulded black plastic. Perhaps with plastic bonding prep, you could paint it with semigloss black.

There was an ultra-rare chrome plated version. The face of the grille was chrome, the rest blacked-out,

·
Registered
272 Posts
I haven't tried it, but do you think using a vinyl dye would last longer or hold up better than paint? Or would it not work on the kind of plastic the 69 grille is made from? I'm asking this because I also have a 69 Mach 1 project, where I will have to do the same thing sometime in the near future.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i blasted mine with plastic beads. coated it with plastic prep "primer" and painted it with a black semi-gloss plastic paint. it turned out looking pretty good.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i blasted mine with plastic beads. coated it with plastic prep "primer" and painted it with a black semi-gloss plastic paint. it turned out looking pretty good.
Blasted it??? Wow--I never would have tried that. What air pressure? I would be afraid of damaging it, but I have plastic beads and a cabinet.... That certainly would facilitate cleaning the part and giving it a bit of "bite" for the paint.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Were they pure black or slightly gray? Mine appears to be slightly gray. The headlight rings also have a slightly gray appearance.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I have had some good luck on using the Krylon "fusion" paints for plastic on other projects...maybe this would work?
Tom

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Were they pure black or slightly gray? Mine appears to be slightly gray. The headlight rings also have a slightly gray appearance.
The vast majority were just black molded plastic... but the combination of sun damage and stray wax (think drive through car washes) tends to create a slightly gray patina. I too blasted mine as well as scrubbing it with DX330 dewaxer/degreaser and I used the Krylon Fusion paint. The finish is a bit too glossy, but it looks great.

If the gloss ever bugs me too much, original tooling reproductions are available... but at this point unless something is outright broken I am forging on until the car is totally assembled.

Good luck,
-Rory

P.S. Here is a picture from a few months back:

http://www.stangfix.com/testforum/gallery/6/371_24_09_10_5_23_17_0.jpg

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I too blasted mine as well as scrubbing it with DX330 dewaxer/degreaser and I used the Krylon Fusion paint. The finish is a bit too glossy, but it looks great.

If the gloss ever bugs me too much, original tooling reproductions are available... but at this point unless something is outright broken I am forging on until the car is totally assembled.

Good luck,
-Rory

P.S. Here is a picture from a few months back:

http://www.stangfix.com/testforum/gallery/6/371_24_09_10_5_23_17_0.jpg
Rory--your car is looking fantastic! I am going to paint my grill--I have some DX330 and some plastic adhesion promoter, so I just need to decide on color. Sounds like a semi gloss may be a better direction from your experience.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am new to the group but looking for some help getting the trim pieces off of the grill area of my 69 Mach 1. The guy that had it before me painted all of the chrome black and I want to get it back to chrome and get the car painted. I can not figure out how to get the thin trim off of the front sides. Any tricks or am I missing something easy.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I am new to the group but looking for some help getting the trim pieces off of the grill area of my 69 Mach 1. The guy that had it before me painted all of the chrome black and I want to get it back to chrome and get the car painted. I can not figure out how to get the thin trim off of the front sides. Any tricks or am I missing something easy.
A couple things...

The trim is anodized aluminum, not chrome. It may be very difficult to restore the trim after being painted... polishing the pieces will not give good results. There are specialty places that can re-anodize; I have not tried this. Reproductions are not good.

It may be possible to remove the trim without removing the fender extensions, but I doubt it. Removing the fender extensions is straight forward once you remove the splash guards and locate the upper nut near the hood opening...

The fasteners used for the trim have lousy reproductions, so hit the threads with penetrating oil and let them soak overnight to minimize the chances of damaging your original fasteners when you remove them.

Good luck,

-Rory

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Rory--your car is looking fantastic! I am going to paint my grill--I have some DX330 and some plastic adhesion promoter, so I just need to decide on color. Sounds like a semi gloss may be a better direction from your experience.
Thanks! Since your signature pics have shown your glass in for a while I always thought you were ahead of me. I have the glass in (except the doors) and am working on the interior now... I'd love to see some more pictures of it's (almost) twin. No louvers or Mach stripes for me; also I did a blackout of the tail light panel.

I know the issues of kids and work taking first priority; what bugs me now is that I spend about 4 days reconditioning for every 15 minutes of assembly on the interior and trim! I spent days on the stainless steel, instrument cluster, fold down seat, etc...

-Rory

·
Registered
18 Posts
Blasted it??? Wow--I never would have tried that. What air pressure? I would be afraid of damaging it, but I have plastic beads and a cabinet.... That certainly would facilitate cleaning the part and giving it a bit of "bite" for the paint.
i think i used 40-50 psi.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks! Since your signature pics have shown your glass in for a while I always thought you were ahead of me. -Rory
Funny thing about that signature pic--I was emptying out the garage that day and putting everything in off-site storage. The garage was torn down the next day so we could rebuild with an addition. That shut down the project for a full year plus. I finally have most of the nit-pick stuff you have to do when moving into new space done, so car/garage time is on the rise.

What you can't see about the '69 in the signature pic is that there weren't any headlight buckets, grill, interior, or underhood wiring in the picture. That is all there now, well most if it--obviously the grill is not installed and I have not put on the front spoiler yet. I have to install door panels in the interior, but need to buy a can of Door Honey to spray in first and haven't had time to go get it. The dash is 95% done, but I have a few things to sort out first like the temp guage, the power window switch "lights", and finish installing the stereo (all fitted, just have to finish the other stuff first). Then door sill plates and kick panels! I haven't decided whether or not to install the rocker moldings--I have them but not sure I am going to install them. Lastly the cowl cover, but I have to figure out how to get my wipers to "park" first. The list is getting really short! I will try and get some updated pics this weekend.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I have the chrome grill in my car an am wanting to paint it too. However, I have a crack in the middle and a broken piece where it bolts in at the top. Any advice on fixing these issues before painting? And, not painting over the chrome?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts