Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get the bird dung stains out of a burgundy single step paint job on my son's SportsRoof. The car was a mess when I started but I've gotten most of the dullness off with a power drill mounted with a plush bonnet and using Meguiar's Number 2 compound for machine polishing. I still have some deeper stains and a "smudgy" look to the finish. I'm certainly no expert at this so is there some secret I'm overlooking or should I just keep on polishing till the stains go away or I hit primer?

·
Banned
3,730 Posts
It's a little tough to evaluate this way but......

If it's from a seagull or a close relative, their "dung" is very high in acid and unless removed very quickly, it typically stains almost completely through the paint. You might try 3M hand glaze or swirl mark remover which is very high in solvents to "Clean" the paint of contaminents, and can be applied either by machine or hand. Otherwise, you could wet sand the paint and apply a another coat on top or just let mother nature fade it over time......which is what most of us end up doing.

·
Administrator
12,995 Posts
Hey Ken
I've gone to this site a number of times: http://www.autorestorer.com (There's a page for just paint/bodywork)
They have a lot of good people who could probably answer your question.
Stan

G

·
0 Posts
if the mark is difficult to remove, sounds like the paint did not contain a catalyst ( hardener). This leaves the paint a little soft and getting a renewed shine is difficult. I assume this paint is old which actually helps as the paint will harden over time. You need a profesional buffer to do what is needed. It is very hard if not impossible to do by hand, even with a drill.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Try the 3M handglaze,part # 05990.It's about $17 a quart but it goes a long way.I've used this on old paint for years and at times people insist that I repainted the car.Apply it very liberally and rub it off before it dries completely.Make sure the surface is cool and work in the shade.Apply several coats and you'll be amazed how much dead paint comes off.No guarantee on the stains,though.Sometimes it will,and sometimes it won't.Good luck...

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
try buffing the car with 3M imperial microfinishing compound.......it is a little more aggressive than the Meguiars macvhine glaze.....

then hit the paint with Meguiars fine cut cleaner..........then show car glaze...and a heavy coat of #24 wax (paste)

this should do the trick.....

I did this to my nieces coupe after water sanding the new paint.......and it looks like glass!!!!

regards

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
try buffing the car with 3M imperial microfinishing compound.......it is a little more aggressive than the Meguiars macvhine glaze.....

then hit the paint with Meguiars fine cut cleaner..........then show car glaze...and a heavy coat of #24 wax (paste)

this should do the trick.....

I did this to my nieces coupe after water sanding the new paint.......and it looks like glass!!!!

regards

1 - 8 of 8 Posts