Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is a weird one so go with me. My 68 cougar has all sorts of things wrong with it. I'm really trying to return it to oringal as much as possible. I'm pulling out the 85 roller 302 and putting in a 68 motor. The 68 motor only has brackets for an alt and nothing else. I've never seen a motor that had AC, but not PS. I am assuming that the alt would tension the water pump and the AC belt would only go on the AC compressor, the AC tensioner and the crank. Is this correct? So the water pump would have a single groove pulley, just like the alt and the crank would have a two groove pulley?

2nd question:
Does anyone reproduce the original compressor brackets?

thanks
Austin

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,681 Posts
Try Classic Auto Air in Tampa. I don't think they repro the factory brackets but they refurbish factory A/C and usually have all of the parts to build a complete factory system. FYI, R12 refrigerant is still readily available if you are going concours and want to avoid the 134a conversion.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I know the tensioner is part of the AC bracket on 67/68s.

I've delt w/ CAA before and they have great products. About the R12. I'm not sure I want to go that way. York compressors run fine on R134 and with the correct oil, fresh drier and condensor the system is happy. With all that being said, R12 does cool a little better w/ the old condensors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts