Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I should start one of these while I’m at it.
Grama bought this 67 289 c4 coupe new and gave it to me in 86. It was 100% original until 2 weeks ago when I began disassembly. I ran out of room and stored it for the last 10 years or so and everything went south quick...moisture in the hanger.
Oregon car and always garaged. 116k miles. Only seen about 5k on the streets in the last 30 years honestly.
Decided to restore as a DD, and mostly stock. Grandpa had a minor fender bender in a parking lot in about 1972 and repainted with a bit darker color.
I am going back to Acapulco Blue with blue standard interior. Using epoxy with 2 coats of clear so it looks close to oem, but much more resilient. Having c4 gone through with a minor rebuild. Rebalance DL. Doing the engine myself, and anticipate no issues, but we will see. Going back oem, same 2v carb, and ex manifs. Going to add custom duals with a GT valance and front disc conversion...has power drums now. Adding 15” Cragar SSs with 225f/245r. Thats pretty much it.
only corrosion it has is a bad battery tray area that has been taken care of recently.

Started this about 2 weeks ago and currently it is just barely a roller...steering wheel and steering with wheels so I can move it around. Dustless blaster is scheduled for this Monday. Hope to have primer on by wed.

I am doing nearly everything myself. Had a guy (Didie with C&C restorations) do the battery box area welding as I am not a “welder!”

I will only put up a few pics to show some progress, but if any of yall would like more, or a certain pic just let me know and I can post more. I have taken close to 1500 so far! Lol
Troy

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lucky guy..my grandparents only bought 6cyl 4 door cars
Very true! Grandpa drove a 66 Buick GS.
My grama bought a 65 vert with ac and bench seat but my uncle thought it looked better wrapped around a tree! She replaced that with this one. Sure wish she liked the 390 Fastbacks!
Forgot to mention that she died about 2 years ago at the age of 95. Lived by herself right up until the end. Tough cookie. Well, she was one of the first Woman Marines though.
Troy

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Lucky guy. Great story of your grandmother. I'm sure you're proud of her.
My grandda drove a Buick 225, and it stunk of his cigars! He didn't drive a Caddy because they "were for impotent old men." Haha. At least my dad had a Daimler SP250 (in which I learned to shift gears in the passenger seat) and a 64.5 vert (in which I took my driver's test).
Love the pictures. The more the better!

Reactions: HPjunki

·
Registered
465 Posts
I used Dustless Blasters to strip my car. They did a great job, but it's anything but dustless. The car looked like I'd just took it mudding. I wound up having to use my power washer and a leaf blower to get it clean enough to prime. I had to use the power washer to clean the driveway. For a month afterwards when I mowed the lawn it looked like a dust storm. It looks like you have a pretty solid base to start with. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I was just gonna say, it's anything but dustless! It's media shot with water..... a lot of mud type material is left typically.

But, what a great car to start with both condition & memories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have never seen dustless blasting but have watched a bunch of vids. Seems like the best way to go. I did plan on pressure washing the hell out of it after.
And yes, great memories for sure.
Troy

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Monday update...
Dustless Blaster of Orlando came right at 0800. Left about 1500. 2 man team.
They did a fantastic job. They decided to dry blast the interior, trunk, wheel wells, and engine bay. Once that was done, they vacuumed it up and began water blasting.
I knew of a small repair using bondo on the hood, and just forward of the right rear wheel, but it was a nail biter watching for any surprises! Turns out there was no other bondo on the car at all! And the “problem”areas were very minor. Whew! My body guy said he can pull almost all of it out so hardly any filler will go back in. Yeah!
It was def messy, but nowhere near what I expected. After they were complete, they pressure washed the nooks and crannies extensively with water and a rust inhibitor (Hold tite 2).They spent a good amount of time cleaning. Once that was done, they used an air hose and a Shop Vac to get more out. Good sunny day, so we left everything in the sun while I spent another 5 hours air blasting and vacuuming. I think I have gotten nearly all of it but plan on spending a good 3-4 hours tomorrow doing the same. Gonna continue until no more left to vac after blowing all seams And crannies.
Then I plan to use some red Scotchbright pads and air to go over everything. After that, a good wipe down with Prep-sol and a lint free cloth(s).
Plan on shooting the 2 part epoxy primer Wed and Thursday... gonna let some items cure overnight before turning them over. Then Chassis Black in the wheel wells and engine bay.
Supposed to be good weather, which is nice.
Thanks for watching!
If you are curious, they charged me $1500, which included a ton of clean up. Very happy with the value.
Troy

·
Registered
465 Posts
Looking good. How long did it take them? It took my guy 1 1/2 days but I also had it on the rotisserie and had him clean the undercarriage. Glad to see that this guy took it seriously with a fresh air supply to his helmet. My guy just had safety glasses and a bandana.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
About 7 hours. He just reached under to get a bit. Wasn't going to buy or make a rotisserie. I will just put it on the lift and da away underneath.
That helmet has air run through it to keep cool. Pretty neat.

Today was a brutal one. I’m not used to working this hard for sure! Spent from 9am until about 8pm blowing, vacuuming, grinding, and wiping everything down. Was hoping to shoot primer tomorrow am, but probably not. If I am lucky, maybe in the evening. Got a bunch more Wiping down with Prep All, and blowing.
I did take about an hour off for some “fun.” My buddy needed to air up his tires in his Super Snake. Believe it or not, the air valves are on the inside of the rim and it sits too low to reach around. Easy on a lift. Found that his wheels were rubbing slightly also, but only when unloaded hanging low. Put a call in to Shelby for a fix. He just sent it out for the SS package this year. Its a beast.
Anyway, here are a few boring pics from today.
Troy

·
Registered
7T03T121875 - 10/5/66 build
13 Posts
If you are curious, they charged me $1500, which included a ton of clean up. Very happy with the value.
That's consistent with the quotes I'm getting around Nashville. Most everybody is sitting around $2000 to do mine on the rotisserie, so with the extra labor/materials for the undercarriage that adds up about right. Still quite a chunk of change for this average bear. My car is virtually the same as yours in terms of rust (none) and previous bodywork (a little filler in the driver's quarter from a parking lot incident in 1970).

·
Registered
409 Posts
Do you have a Coors Light beer machine in your shop? How cool!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's consistent with the quotes I'm getting around Nashville. Most everybody is sitting around $2000 to do mine on the rotisserie, so with the extra labor/materials for the undercarriage that adds up about right. Still quite a chunk of change for this average bear. My car is virtually the same as yours in terms of rust (none) and previous bodywork (a little filler in the driver's quarter from a parking lot incident in 1970).
Sure is nice to nit have to deal with a welder!
Troy

1 - 20 of 34 Posts