Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Do you have a Coors Light beer machine in your shop? How cool!
ummmmm, yep! That is my pride and joy right there! Wife told me to put a keg in there, but I thouht this was way cooler.
Troy

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I think some people to put it on a rotisserie after blasting and keep turning until all the media comes out.
I can def see the logic in that. There will be a beach when done. Guarantee there is still some in there somewhere, but whatchya gonna do?!
Troy

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Got done early today.
Finished prepping the body and panels so I had time to shoot. Not ideal conditions, but I made do. Used a 2 part epoxy and shot the trunk, hood, fenders, and the body (ext and int/trunk). Used almost the full gallon, but all of my hardener. Need to shoot the other side of the hood and trunk, so I will touch up a couple spots that were a bit thin on the body.
Very happy with how it turned out. Had a bit of trouble maneuvering the gun in some tight areas, but the coverage actually came out superb.

Had to make a paint run so I can finish the priming tomorrow morning.
Tomorrow afternoon/ eve I will finish prepping the engine bay so I can shoot Chassis Black friday am.

All in all a good day. But, boy does this feel like work!
In fact, I am gonna splurge and go to my fav watering hole for a few Coors with the dog and lil woman.
I think I have deserved that!
Troy

·
Registered
1969 Mustang Coupe
65 Posts
Such a nice project, will make one heck of a nice car someday I'm sure.
I had considered media blasting mine but decided not to due to logistics, time and money. My car is pretty good anyway so didn't really need it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I figured I aint doin this again before I die or pass it on to my daughter!
Troy

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
More of the same for today. Primed the other side of the trunk lid and hood. Also retouched a few light areas on the body.
After that cured (~4 hours), I prepped the engine bay and wheel wells. Should shoot those in the morning. Plan to spray the channels inside the trunk lid, hood, rear valance area, and doors too.
Used chemical stripper for the front valance because the blaster was concerned it might warp because it was kinda flimsy.
Troy
btw, last pic is my lil helper Lotus...like the car, not the flower.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Today was kinda fun. Sprayed Chassis Black in engine bay, wheel wells, and inside of fenders. Also painted the dash light blue. Lastly, I applied seam sealer with a brush. I used a heck of a lot less then Ford did! Turned out very nice. Kinda fun to actually see something going in the correct direction finally!
Troy

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Gonna be busy with hunny do’s for a while... wife wants tile upstairs. 700 sq ft. Ugh.
I did get to break away and remove my steering stuff and mailed to ChockoStang. Having everything rebuilt and converting to front discs. Received the discs a few weeks ago and they look great btw. Hope to have the steering parts back in a couple weeks for re assy. Not in the pics are the booster and pump.
Troy

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Done with the hunny doos...for now!

Back to the ole girl.
Installed the wiper assy and a few other items.
Spent the rest of the day, which should have taken about 2 hours, installing the new front suspension. Had a hell of a time with this for some reason. I have R&R ed many suspensions, but had difficulty with this. Taken it apart maybe 5 times. First problem was these springs are much longer than most I have e perience with I guess. My spring compressor barely compressed enough to get them in. Ordered an inside model for the other side!
Next issue was once the spindle was installed (upper and lower Bjs) it takes a lot of effort to rotate. Dont remember this ever happening before. After the 4th time apart, I spent some time on the puter and it seems that new ball joints will be tough to turn at first. Yes/no? The suspension hanging down seems to be right at its limits. Maybe once back on its wheels, it will loosen up?
When the upper ball joint is attached to the spindle, and the lower is off, the spindle turns as I expect it should. But when I attach the lower ( which again is at its limit to connect) the spindle tightens up.
I ordered a new spring compressor and will check the movement with the spring compressed from above. Maybe that should clarify things a bit?!
If anyone has some insight, I would welcome it!
Troy

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Ok, didn’t like the silver spindle and strut rod. Thought it would be a bit closer to natural than black. Looked like chit. So..... took the suspension apart again! Lol
blasted and repainted black. Took plenum apart and blasted and painted all the parts. Had to make a small repair with epoxy. Tomorrow I will be rebuilding it with new rubber and seals.
Installed the engine bay wire loom as well as the under dash loom. Very impressed with the new Alloy Metal loom. Nearly perfect.
Rebuilt the foot operated windshield pisser and installed the system.
Rebuilt and installed the driver’s vent.
Installed a few other things under the dash.
Rebuilt the steering column and painted light metallic blue.
Misc blasting and painting.
Pretty enjoyable day all in all.
Anxiously waiting for my steering components to return from ChockoStang.
That is all for tonight.
Troy

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Had to replace the blower motor. Finished restoring the plenum and installed it today. Also installed the glove box. Tidied up under the dash a bit and decided to replace both relays while Im at it. Was planning on using the original dash pad since it looked to be near perfect condition, but once cleaned up it wasn't as nice as I once thought. The dirt was hiding a bunch of fade and what not.
Inventoried parts and blasted a bunch today, as well as launched another order to NPD.
Also met with my body/paint guy today. He will get it in a couple weeks and have it done by Jan. Can’t wait.
Thanks for looking!
Troy

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Quick update before my week out camping for the holiday...

Last couple days I have been blasting and painting parts. I also ordered a new dash pad (Dashes Direct) and installed it yesterday. What a complete hunk of crap. Its a cheap rubbery plastic formed thing that looks horrible. As I punched the holes in the material up near the windshield to hold it down and in place, it ripped from the hole. Had to trim a bit on each corner, which really didnt bother me. The lower ends where it screws into the dash looks to be molded to look like it is peeling up. Pulled this out and gonna have to chit can it. Luckily my orig one is in great shape, just faded in spots. Going to “dye” it with the SEC flex paint that NPD sells and hope for the best. Been researching and seems to work well as long as the prep is good. Didnt get a pic which I should have unfortunately.

Spent hours trying to get the shaft out of my distribution block. Note to self: do not leave an old car sit for 8 years in a moist Florida hanger with an empty brake system. Finally decided to soak it overnight in carb cleaner. Today I tried air again at 150 psi. Nada. So, out comes the hammer and punch! After a few good whacks, she moves! Unfortunately it is further down the tunnel. Tried air again thinking it will work. Nope. Grabbed a pair of needle nose pliers and visited the bench grinder. Made a cool lil tool to reach the shaft. After a few pulls twisting my tongue and eyebrows just right, and viola! She comes out! Just about as rewarding as watching a child being born! Lol
Gonna let these sit in carb cleaner for the week before I brush the internals and rebuild it.

Got all my steering parts back from @CHOCK and checked them out. Holy moly these things look like new. Very impressed. had it all done: steering box, ram, lines, inner/outer tie rods, pitman arm, center link, valve assy, pump, and booster. I already got the front disc conversion kit from him. Cant wait to get back and get this together!

Oh. Was blasting my headlight buckets and found that both had the lower tabs cracked 99% off and was repaired with bondo and fiberglass. Decided to order repos. I guess that lil parking lot fender bender that got the hood in ‘72 got them too. Wish Grama would have mentioned that one!

Gonna go relax in the 5er for the week with the fam. Yall enjoy your Thanksgiving. As jacked up as things have been, just remember that it could always be worse.
Troy

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Quick update for today.
Cleaned out and honed the brake distribution block and rebuilt the shaft with new seals.
Installed the steering column, steering gear, ram, control valve, Idler arm, center link, and all tie rod ends et all. All rebuilt by @CHOCK. Fantastic work dan, thank you. Torqued everything down and very happy how it all turned out.
Just put the old wheel on so we can steer it around the paint shop and easily pull to mask. Nobody has the light blue in stock, so I plan to paint the black new one I bought light blue. I am actually thinking of painting it Acapulco Blue. Thought it might look nice. Consensus? Not looking for concourse, but don‘t want it to look out of place either. Verdict still out...
Back on her feet and obviously crazy camber. I am near certain this is normal with these suspensions with no weight on the front, right? Makes sense that with the engine back in it will shift back closer to correct. Planning to tighten all suspension parts once fully assembled and on the ground before alignment.
Troy

21 - 33 of 33 Posts