Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 67 fastback and am starting to restore the interior panels. The fold down seat has rubbed the fiberglass panels and cut grooves into it exposing the white under the black color. I have a couple qustions.

1. How can I fill in the grooves the fold down seat cut into the fiberglass? Will bondo work?

2. Can I spray paint the panel?

3. What brand and type of paint should I use?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
Re: storing Interior Panels

That is a problem. The foldown flattens the grain. What I have done is to take one of those engavers, the kind you use to put your name on tools to rough the panel in a random pattern. then sand it a little. You might have to repeat the engraving.

Painting: Ever buy an old car where, at one time somebody has used a silicone containing dressing on the interior panels? Even if you wash the panel with laquer thinner the paint will still hav "fish eyes". Here is what worked for me. Most any hardware store will have "Preval" brand sprayers in stock. buy one and maybe a spare power head unit. Most of us use Krylon semi-flat paint for the interior (well, if it's black) Hold the spray can upside down. Then hold the spray nozzle down. You are letting all the pressure out of the can. Then, hold the can over in a vice, tap a nail through the bottom. S-l-o-w-l-y let any leftover pressure out. Pull the nail out so you can drain some of the paint into the Preval sprayer cup. Mix it about 20% silicone additive, or it might be known as fish eye eliminator at the paint place. Paint away. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
You know way back long time ago I was painting some interior panels on a el camino that I had and mistakenly layed my arm against tacky paint and made a nice pattern not unlike the texture of the mustang design. problem was the panels I was painting were smooth I didn't care though I just needed them to be close to matching the other panels I had. I wonder if you could put a skim coat of something like bondo or equivalent then press something like a coarse fiberglass type mat into the finish and leave a pattern that resembles the correct texture.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: storing Interior Panels

The scratched on the panels are less than a 1/4 inch deep. Are you saying that bondo can be used to fill the scratched before painting?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts