Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are the plates that have the sliders and screw on from the inside. So, mine are rusted but restorable. However, there are 2 thermally? bonded rubber edges around the 2 holes in the plates. It looks like these are mostly there to keep the plastic slider from dragging on metal. In the process of trying to remove all the rust from my plates I might have gotten on those things some. I really need to remove them completely to get all the rust in there.

64 thousand dollar question is what do you do to replace those because I wouldn't expect there to be a part for this. I do not want to replace my original plates.

HA. Found a photo. It is that steel plate with the slider that has the chrome slider bar on it. The sliders behind that plate are plastic. The 2 rectangular air holes in those plates have a rubber trim edge around them and I need to replace the rubber somehow. It appears that this is mostly for the back and the backs of mine are not too bad but if I can get new ones that would be my choice.

·
Registered
961 Posts
The rubber seals were not serviced according to the attached diagram. You did not state the year. Consider posting a wanted ad with good pictures of what you are looking for.

Attachments

·
Registered
37,687 Posts
These are the plates that have the sliders and screw on from the inside. So, mine are rusted but restorable. However, there are 2 thermally? bonded rubber edges around the 2 holes in the plates. It looks like these are mostly there to keep the plastic slider from dragging on metal. In the process of trying to remove all the rust from my plates I might have gotten on those things some. I really need to remove them completely to get all the rust in there.

64 thousand dollar question is what do you do to replace those because I wouldn't expect there to be a part for this. I do not want to replace my original plates.

HA. Found a photo. It is that steel plate with the slider that has the chrome slider bar on it. The sliders behind that plate are plastic. The 2 rectangular air holes in those plates have a rubber trim edge around them and I need to replace the rubber somehow. It appears that this is mostly for the back and the backs of mine are not too bad but if I can get new ones that would be my choice.

On part# 278C16?

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like the rubber trims or seals are on 278C28. They border those holes in the steel plates. I suppose they are seals like y'all said. I can make mine work. They are not in that bad a shape. I think I got the wire brush across one spot that I will need to glue back into place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts