Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So nice having a blasting cabinet. 15 minutes of blasting with alum oxide followed with a little black paint.

Sorry about all the shadows from my Oak tree. Looks a little strange.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Wow, I want a sandblasting cabinet. That looks really nice. Are you going to blast the whole car at any point or is it not necessary?

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car will be totally blasted by an expert, except for the large delicate skin areas such as door skins, roof, etc. Those will be sanded down by hand.

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
I bought a floor model from TP Tools last winter and it's been great. So easy to clean up small to medium parts and some etching primer, paint and you have a really nice looking part. It almost makes one want to take apart the car to refurbish all those little parts, but not quite.
Ken

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glass is useless except for fine rust and delicate metals. Alum oxide from Harbor freight.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Tractor Supply Company (TSC) has alum oxide and blasting medias too. See if there's any around by you and you can look in the phone book too for media blasting suppliers. Saves you a bit on shipping if you can pick it up locally.

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
I've had good luck with Black Beauty media as well. I too have one of those TP Tools blasting cabinets. Darn thing leaks sand everywhere though. I may have to take it all apart and use weatherstripping between the panels to seal them all better.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Initially my cabinet leaked around the doors but after I load up the item to blast I wrap a nylon web strap around the cabinet and doors and tighten it up real good. Very little sand comes out.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
buening said:
I've had good luck with Black Beauty media as well. I too have one of those TP Tools blasting cabinets. Darn thing leaks sand everywhere though. I may have to take it all apart and use weatherstripping between the panels to seal them all better.
I had to do that to my HF blast cabinet. Went to the hardware store and bought stick on closed cell weatherstripping and built up the original seal. No problems now and cheap to replace if it does wear out.

I do use my Shop-Vac with it though so that helps with positive pressure in the cabinet. I have the "router speed control" that HF sells that I slow the speed of the Shop-Vac down with. When blasting I also use the original paper bag filter over the pleated filter to help protect the vac. I do expect to shorten the lifespan of the vac since it wasn't designed for this.

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
My main leaking points are in the inside corners of the cabinet. The panels overlap in these corners, and although there is a weatherstripping seal on the bottom panel, sand goes through the overlap and down the legs onto the shelf-like panel that is attached between all of the legs. So i get media piles in each corner of this shelf and it piles up against the legs. I also get dust flying out of every panel overlap, but that is because i haven't hooked up my shop vac to get rid of the interior dust.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts