Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am most probably going to start with the trunk when it comes to restoring (well the whole rear suspension and rear end too)

I ordered the trunk mats for my car, but do I also need the carpet kit as well or is the mat kit all that came from the factory?

I have underlayment kit (works as sound deadener and absorber)

Do i need the side piece (LH) that goes opposite the spare tire?

If so what else goes in the trunk?

·
Registered
35,830 Posts
So I am most probably going to start with the trunk when it comes to restoring (well the whole rear suspension and rear end too)

I ordered the trunk mats for my car, but do I also need the carpet kit as well or is the mat kit all that came from the factory?
Gas tank pad and vinyl or fiber mat was the factory deal.

I have underlayment kit (works as sound deadener and absorber)
Yeah, the die-cut repro pad works just fine.

Do i need the side piece (LH) that goes opposite the spare tire?
Yes, all 64-70 Mustangs had a masonite or cardboard support there.

If so what else goes in the trunk?
Spare, jack, jack handle.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for all you're help and replies so far 22GT you're alright!

so i do not need the carpet kit? was this just an introduced product for a different kind of look?

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
If you want to restore the trunk to original, here are a few things to make sure you have correct.

-The entire trunk area is painted body color. Trunk hinges, trunk hinge bolts, and tension rods should be painted body color. Fuel tank will be unpainted niterne steel. An area of sound deadener under body color on the inside of the quarter panels.

- Plaid trunk mat

- On the left side of the trunk, you need the trunk filler board under the mat and you need the luggage protector strip to go on the driver's side wheelhouse pinchweld. Apply the protector strip with yellow weatherstrip adhesive.

- Rubber anti-rattle strip on one tension rod.

- Spare tire with jack and ratchet lug wrench in the correct location under the spare tire.

- Spare tire mounting decal on underside of trunk lid. Should be mounted upper center right of trunk lid.

- Trunk latch should be galvanized. Trunk striker plate will be clear zinc. Bolts will be phosphate and oil.

This should get you started.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay have ordered all my last parts and pieces for the trunk resto.

Does anyone know where the jack sticker go?
And where the shelby posi sticker go?

I have a feeling the jack sticker go on the top left of the deck lid.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Very informative thread. Thanks for the info. So my 65 has one quarter panel the body color on the inside, but the other is black. Is this a pretty good indication that this quarter panel was replaced at some point?

Also, what sort of jack came with 65s? I found both a pneumatic piston style and a kind of collapsing vice style jack.

Oh, and probably been asked before, but do they make a smaller spare?

Deke

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay have ordered all my last parts and pieces for the trunk resto.

Does anyone know where the jack sticker go?
And where the shelby posi sticker go?

I have a feeling the jack sticker go on the top left of the deck lid.
Okay so the jack sticker goes in the center right of the deck lid, just need to know where the shelby posi warning sticker goes if anyone has any ideas.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I was away for a number of days so I am late on the discussion which looks thorough enough. I have a few pictures of mine to add if you just follow the link and suggestions in my signature.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts