Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've kept my eye for the longest time on *hay and other places in search of a actual "wooden" deluxe steering wheel for my restoration. Although I am far from finally needing it since other things are ahead in the queue it would be nice to locate this item.

Question: If I do end up picking up one which requires restoration, where can this be done? I have not seen or come across any services for this type of item...

My last course of action would be the $600 kti sold by NPD but that seems like a last resort.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Orlando Mustang does a pretty good job on restoration. There is a Company in Georgia that also does restoration and looks ,more like the original woodgrain steering wheel. I don't recall their name but they show up at most of the national shows.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Why not just restore it yourself? I did mine and it came out great. All it took was some light sanding, just enough to remove the old clear coat, stain and nicks. Metal polished the spokes. Restained the wood rim. Taped off the spoke base and painted the base. Taped the spokes and center cap and cleared every thing. It came out great and it certainly wasn,t hard. Just take your time and be carful not to sand to much or to hard. Good Luck.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am certainly not against attempting to restore myself. Lord knows I have done enough to this ol' car to warrant some degree of merit badge when it comes to "re-awakening".

However, most of the steering wheels I have found have missing or cracked pieces of wood. Is the common practice here (whether I restore or someone else does...) to whittle down some log and wood glue it into place? Seems a little like high school woodshop to me but wanted to check with the team here before I proceed.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
are we talking apples or oranges here? what "wooden" deluxe steering wheel are you referring to? Ford's brand of deluxe "simulated" wood steering wheels were all formed of hard plastic, not wood. To fill in the large gaps, I use a Dremel with a drum sander to contour and "V" shape the edges. I use JB Weld to fill in and bond the two opposing pieces and this seems to hold up very well. There are actual wood steering wheels, but they are aftermarket and still available new if that is what you are looking for....

randy

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
If you want actual wood to replace the shrunken or cracked original plastic, Dallas Mustang can do that for you.

If you want to repair the cracks, you can do that yourself. I've done a few myself and am glad to share my observations. It's basically patch the crack, and then repaint the wheel to camouflage the repair. PM me if you want. Dickson

1 - 6 of 6 Posts