Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanting to hook up my trans. Noticed some small cracks in flywheel. How much can you safely turn one? It measure's right now at 15/16' wide. Is there some spec's. some where to go by? It is an 11'' part # C5AE 6390-E Any help? Also has anyone ever used the Zoom
Pefection clutch kits and are they decent? Thanks in advance. Jim

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
If it has heat cracks, it has hard spots. Don't bother; just get a new one, preferably steel if you are doing a performance build.

No idea on the clutch. We always used 3 and 6 pucks; not exactly passenger car stuff :D

Pat

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Pat, your right. I was thinking that also. I have another one but wanted to use the one that came off the motor. It was balanced real good, but the other one i have has the same casting # so It should be the same balance. Thanks Jim and extended project still in progress.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Personally I prefer diaphragm clutches. I use a Centerforce myself. Much less pedal effort, even with the big assist spring (under the dash) removed.

I have never had a problem with the clutch pedal sticking to the floor even at 6300 rpm.

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
68RCodeConv said:
Personally I prefer diaphragm clutches. I use a Centerforce myself. Much less pedal effort, even with the big assist spring (under the dash) removed.

I have never had a problem with the clutch pedal sticking to the floor even at 6300 rpm.
The pedal sticking to the floor happens when the big assist spring is installed...

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I use an 11" setup made by Qualitee. It has a diaphram presure plate and I love it. I was a little suspect since the engine is warmed up but no problems since I put it in back 2000; it has never slipped as far as I can tell. I had trouble with Centerforce so out it came. Have a good automotive machine shop look at the flywheel. They can be ground a couple of times prior to discarding. The counter weight is onthe back of the flywheel, so grinding it won't effect offset weight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts