Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am a self proclaimed apprentice. i have been in the hobby for 2 years now on Halloween, thats when i bought my 67 coupe with a 302. I installed a air gap intake and AFR heads. But as in the nature of this hobby one thing or another wasa always wrong. In fact I immediately got up in the HP race and went out and bought a roller 351 block and SCAT stroker crank with plans to build a 408. So that if any rice burner ever pulled up i would be able to show them what American power looked like

However I just took the coupe out for a drive today and it felt amazing, I still need an alignment but the get up and go of this 302 is amazing. I plan on installing 3.55's later on this year and I can only imagine what this car is going to do after that.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
now imagine having another 50+hp under the hood with the stroker motor, depending on how you build it.

in the end the choice is yours. the 408 has teh advantage of the monster torque output that the 302 cant hope to match, but the 302 is lighter and better balanced.

·
Registered
312 Posts
So I am a self proclaimed apprentice. i have been in the hobby for 2 years now on Halloween, thats when i bought my 67 coupe with a 302. I installed a air gap intake and AFR heads. But as in the nature of this hobby one thing or another wasa always wrong. In fact I immediately got up in the HP race and went out and bought a roller 351 block and SCAT stroker crank with plans to build a 408. So that if any rice burner ever pulled up i would be able to show them what American power looked like

However I just took the coupe out for a drive today and it felt amazing, I still need an alignment but the get up and go of this 302 is amazing. I plan on installing 3.55's later on this year and I can only imagine what this car is going to do after that.
Good to hear that the 302 is feeling faster. I wish my car felt faster as time goes by, let me know your secret.

Reactions: Redneckgearhead

·
Registered
801 Posts
Definitely build that 408. I will be glad to dispose of your 302 appropriately, so you don't have to worry about it. *grin*

(gotta love those AFR heads, eh?)

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
If you want your car to feel faster every year, move to the snow belt. Every spring after 6 months of driving a Volvo I get a serious thrill. Since I like a good handling car and I hav'nt been bitten by the linear stoplight race thing yet, I'd forego a 408 for a 347 and take the better handling and braking. I'm always surprised at how strong 2nd66 's 302 Exploder motor pulls - very respectable with a modest performer aluminum heads and matching cam/intake. There is a lot to be said regarding the difference between fun-fast and scary-fast. The biggest problem with scary fast is the 2-beer drive home with your buddy in the passenger seat - famous last words: "watch this..."

·
Registered
604 Posts
I love me a strong high spinning 347 but, after having the 408 in my 66, i'm never going back. Moving the battery to the trunk, using as much aluminum stuff as I could on the engine (heads, intake, water pump), and adjusting the engine back a little I do not notice any appreciable difference in braking or handling but everything on my car has been upgraded in darn near every respect and designed to handle the increased torque that a 408 gives (convertible substructure, welded shock towers, bracing galore, tubular roller suspension, 13" discs, 3link, 9"...you name it i did it).

Now that I've adjusted to the power output of the 408, the 347 car feels almost quant. Make no mistake, my 347 is a beast but the 408 scares women and small children. For awhile I had a hard time keeping the rear from stepping out since I drive the s**t out of my car. Even with the 3link, 275's, and trutrac rear I can rip the tires in darn near any gear at will. It is probably the most fun thing I've ever driven...more fun than the Jaguar F-type R i had for awhile.

Side note...if you stick with the 408 plan you'll want to spend some time figuring out how to get it to hook up before lining up against cracker jack ricers.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I have an 87 octane 480 hp 408 and it is WAY better than the 91 octane 430 HP 347 I used to have. As mentioned by chaser , with aluminum parts the weight is slightly less than the original all iron 2bbl 302 it replaced. The added HP corrects the "understeer" to "oversteer" in the handling dept. LOL
Randy

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good to hear that the 302 is feeling faster. I wish my car felt faster as time goes by, let me know your secret.
I think it feels faster becacuse I am starting to feel comfortable driving it. There has been one thing after another so i always drove the car cautiously. But when i took it out the other day it felt good so i put the pedal to the floor and it pulled for a nice long time. I am finally at the point where the only things left are body issues.

The fender bolt underneath the car near the doors is missin on both sides, PIA trying to replace that.
I still smell unburned fuel when driving so I think It could use a tune or some fiddling with my Holley carb.then i just have to put my interior into the car.

I finally understand what all the hubbub is all about. As kid I wanted a convertible 65 mustang becacuse they looked cool. But riding around in my car yesterday was almost magical.

I dont understand those guys who have these cars and dont drive them, My car is primered with overspray on all the windows and I plan to drive it anywhere i can.

408 may still be in the plan down the line but right now i am happy with this 302 and like I said before when i add the 3.55 gears in the back im sure i will fall in love again

I guess the secret is to change/modify/upgrade just one thing that makes a difference and enjoy that for a while. Then change modify /upgrade another thing that makes a difference and enjoy that

Reactions: Crank_It_Up

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Yes I agree . Often you get used to a particular set up and eventually want more. In my case the 408W will be replaced with a 521 ( 460) with dual fours that I am building at the moment. The Ranchero has moved from "daily driver' to "sunny day" status so "excuses" can be made for fuel economy LOL. 600+ hp should be interesting next year when I finish the swap.
Randy

Reactions: green1965
1 - 9 of 9 Posts