Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i got the ok from the wife to buy some more parts for the stroker.So Its cam,lifters,valves and springs.Plus im gunna sneak in a bigs carb and i will have everything for it.the cam im interested in is
comp xr294rf-hr
294,300 duration
242,248 @.050
.576,600 lift
This is going in a 408 stroker with canfield heads
The ? im having is >I keep hearing about the retro cams not being stable. has anyone ever experienced this with a retro_Or should i skip this cam and go with the crane style lifter and regular base cam If i dont use this cam Im gunna go with a custom

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
I am building a stroker for a friend right now. We found out that it is just about the same price to get Crower lifters as it is to get the Ford lifters with the spider kit. The Crower lifters do not require the spider kit because they have an anti-rotate bar between lifters.

He will be running a cam close to what you are going to and we are going to be using the Crower lifters.....

By the way, my friend lives in Vacaville and I built the engine we are redoing about 5 years ago, plus I built the 427 that is in his Cobra that he drives on a regular basis around Vacaville......

Gary

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Did you already buy the Crower lifters? I remember a post on Fordmuscle.com from somebody who found those Crower link bar lifters for a reasonable price, but after a little more investigation, it seemed that they were actually stock replacements, for use with the spider.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I'm using the crane lifters on my reduced base circle cam. They seem to work very good. I think that a standard base circle cam might push the lifter out of it bore to high and bleed off the oil presuure. It probably has to do with the block casting & year on how tall the lifter bore are. Just somrthing to be aware of.
Good luck with it
Jim

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well im using a mid 70's block.I have heard that you can use the link bar with the standard circle with no problems.im just curious about how people like the spider bars and if there cams have any stability problems.But most who have said this are custom cam grinders.So i wanted some real world advice .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts