Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this would be the appropriate place to post, but my 66 mustang came with a Retro Sound after market stereo that's hooked up to a Kenwood amplifier located in the trunk. The problem is that the front speakers are bridged together and the rear speakers are bridged together. As a result, I'm not getting a right channel. Is there a way around this without having to rewire the speakers to the amp?

·
Registered
35,276 Posts
All four speakers should be wired separately. These radios are clear and loud when wired correctly. But they require four separate wires to each pair of speakers. There is no "short cut". Your bridged wiring is an attempt to avoid doing it right.

That Kenwood amplifier is probably unnecessary. If it causes problems wiring the speakers, simply bypass it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. It's a 2-channel Kenwood amp btw, so I'm not sure how I'd wire the speakers separately. I was thinking the right speakers could be bridged to one channel and same for the left speakers.

·
Registered
35,276 Posts
I doubt it very much. The Retrosound has four separate amplifiers. Here is the Retrosound wiring diagram.

I recommend you wire it the way the factory specifies.

I recently installed a Retrosound in a kit car roadster. Due to space limitations I could not install front speakers, so I used dual voice coil speakers in the rear. I still wired them to Retrosound factory spec. Despite having only two 6x9 cones, it gives very clear, very loud sound.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't checked the back of the radio, but the amp definitely has 2 channels. I'll try bypassing the amp and see how that works. Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts