Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when do you have to run a return to your tank, is this just for Fuel Injected cars ?

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

when do you have to run a return to your tank, is this just for Fuel Injected cars ?

<hr></blockquote>Yes, it's just for fuel injection.

The deal is that the pump has to put out much more than the system will normally need in order for the injectors to do their job properly. The excess fuel has to be returned to the tank so a regulator is used to keep the pressure at the injectors where you need it and all the rest goes back.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sooo..what i do is go from the tank to the fuel pump,then to the carb and thats it?

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

what i do is go from the tank to the fuel pump,then to the carb and thats it?

<hr></blockquote>Assuming that you are not running fuel injection, yes. That is all you have to do.

Don't forget a good filter...

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no ,just a carb.thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
You can also plug off the return port on the pump, that's what I'm doing since I'm using the pump off an '89 351W Crown Vic car that had a return line. I'm using a carb, so I don't need the return line. I haven't noticed any adverse effects so far.

Shane

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,498 Posts
If you're using a high volume fuel pump, it's sometimes good to run a return line to maintain constant fuel pressure. Ford did exactly this with the 1985 Mustang GT's. The last of the carbed 5.0's had a traditional fuel pump but with a an extra return line port and line.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts