Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finding that as I make my stang more radical the more I want it to look less radical. I installed a 351W with a Victor jr manifold and found I had a hood clearence problem. I cut a hole and installed a Boss 429 scoop. Problem solved. I couldn't find anyone around here that could route my 3" exhaust over the rear axils so I just turned them down after the extremely loud flowmasers. Problem solved. Now I have a car that the police just like to follow around. I can't have any fun. I think it is the hood more that anything.
The question. I am dropping a 420ci stroker in now. Does nay one know a way to lower the motor enough to run the Victor jr manifold or of a lower profile manifold that I could run without killing the ponies that I have worked so hard for.
I will address the exhaust later. Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
378 Posts
1. You could use a drop base air filter that will give you some more space 2. if you have one remove the carb spacer 3. Also if you want a bit more stock look put on the 65/66 shelby hood. As for dropping the engine it is possible I beleave racestang made himself some custom mounts to lower his engine. The problem you get with that is headers REALLY start dragging on the ground. Out of curiosity which headers are you using? Im looking for a good set to put on my 408 stroker in my 67. I can only find the hooker super comps 6208s. They are only 1 3/4in.

Also just to compare some notes what components did you use on you engine? Cam? Heads? etc. Also what kind of HP if you have had it dynoed? Thanks!

Mathew

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the ideas.
The headers I am using now are headman 1 5/8 for the 351 in the 65/66 stangs. I used some Hooker super comp headers for a couple of years, modified my shock towers just like the later big block Mustangs did, it turned out good. The Hookers were still very tight and bangged up by the time I git them in, probably to the point the 1 5/8's out flowed them. I have thought long and hard about a Mustang II suspension, but if I did that I would have to go with a 460 stroker and a second mortgage. The Headmans are a little small, but man do they fit well. Let me know if you come up with something.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What head are you using on that 408? Are these strokers the torque monsters every one claims they are? I am going to be upset if it doesn't scare me a little the first time I nail it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Im either going to be using AFR 205s or Trick Flow Rs. As for torque these engines do make a lot but how much depends on your setup/application. I know people making anywhere from 450HP to around 700HP (I am looking at around 600HP). Your cam will make a lot of the decision on torque. You can have it more lower end torque and less top end HP or vice versa... or a comprimise. If you really want some nice torque get a more torquey cam and take the victor jr off... and put an Air-Gap on. The victor jrs reduce lower end torque a fair ammount. With the airgap you will get some outragous torque and still be able to spin to 6500rpm.

Here is a small run down of the engine:
Coast high premium stroker kit - all forged
SVO or Dart block - 2.75in mains and 9.5in deckheight
Trick Flow R or AFR 205s both heavily ported
Custom roller cam
Holley HP carb
Victor jr intake
And between 200 - 300HP shot of nitrous

The engine will be happily spinning in the mid to high 7000s. For headers I will probably get a set of custom 2in full length headers. Ill have either 3 or 3.5in exhaust though race mufflers. Just to let you know the stock chassis of these early mustangs needs a little help on the big HP engines. I would recommend a set of subframe connectors etc.

Hope this helps.

Mathew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts