Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '67 A-Code came with a white exterior which doesn't look bad except they painted over the warranty plate. It should be Clearwater Aqua Metallic and that's how the trunk, floor pans and other hidden areas remain. I'd like to go back to the original color and was wondering how far should I strip the current coat. Rust is a non-issue as is body work so do I take it to bare metal or...

'67 A-Code Coupe
'68 C-Code Coupe (SWMBO's)
'86 SVO 1D
'86 SVO 2A
[email][email protected] [/Email]

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
Do it right....take it to bare metal

Paul
1965 Mustang 2+2
1989 Mustang GT Convertible
MCA #27261
MCA certified judge for 65's and late models

·
Registered
926 Posts
If the car doesn't have several paint layers or show signs of cracking, then there's nothing wrong with sanding with 600 and working from there. If you take the vehicle down to the metal you will undoubtably remove prior body work and ding repairs. Then it will be up to you to correct and guide coat the panels.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575122&a=11977248&p=43129086&Sequence=6&res=high.jpg
66 C-code convertible
66 C-code coupe
65 GTO hardtop
76 Nova hatchback

G

·
0 Posts
I'm doing the same thing right now with my 72 Mach1. My buddy at work is a body man and he said we needed. To strip the car so we have. He said strip it to get a better paint job. Plus to find all the body filler that may be hidding. Under your panit Good luck

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hi Jim, I had my car strip to bare metal. I say this is the best way to do it. The car's original color was Presidential blue. It had two other colors along its lifetime, Ford Blue then Vintage Burgundy. The body shop I sent the car did a really good job. Painted to its original color, Presidential Blue. The car will be ready in a couple of weeks. I'll post some pics next time.

Ed

'68 FB GT, Presidential Blue, 302 J-Code, Deluxe Interior, GT Package, factory installed FMX.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts