Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's just seems funny to me looking back on my younger car days. I shake my head now thinking about what some of us would do when we'd get a new "hot" car. We'd yank off everything that we thought made the car slower and throw it in the trash. I know I'm guilty of trashing my one owner 1968 AMX 390 go-pack smog system. Numerous air cleaners are another one I'm guilty of along with a "carter" carb on my Mopar. All out the window. As I'm serching for a few parts to "complete" the 70 Boss 302 I bought, and I see what these "trash" parts are worth now, I think to myself how funny that is. Did I ever think that one day I'd be starring at a factory big old fat blue air cleaner snorkel that I used to think was so ugly and actually consider spending well over $100 for it??? H E L L NO! But here I am doing it. I guess that's just what I call Muscle Car Revenge. ::

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
One hundred dollars for a snorkle? That's a steal.
It is funny in retrospect. I had a '72 Challeneger that I decided to convert from an auto tranny to a four speed. I thought nothing of hacking the floor to put the tranny in (Some Mopars, Challengers included, use different floor pans between auto cars and tranny cars). When the headers went on, out went the stock manifolds. Smog? What smog? Thermoquad? In the trash.
It is funny, since I'm now looking for various small smog fittings, which are adding up nicely. My original carb is now worth an arm and a leg, and I'm afraid to leave the car alone, since someone could just pop the hood and make off with a couple of grand worth of parts in a couple of minutes.

Carl

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where did you say you park that pretty boss?? I need an original carb and smog!! LOL Just kidding of course, but yes you must be careful. I'm having a new headliner put in on Wednesday and I want the car back same day because I just don't trust that the shaker won't walk away. I might even take it off when I drop the car off.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Along the same lines...

When I was 14 I bought my first car, a 1967 mustang for $300. I proceeded to rebuild it over the next 2 years, ripping off smog pumps, manifolds, autolite carb, air cleaners, wheels, hubcaps, radio, etc. and throwing them all away.

Now for the next part (this was a different era)... Why not cut a hole in the hood, throw on a tunnel ram, headers, holly 650, high stall speed converter, traction bars, lumpy cam, 2.5 inch exhaust... (but of course do nothing about those anemic heads or the pathetic rear end gearing and open differential). As for handling? No sway bars for me: skinny little tires up front, N50/14 in the rear, gabriel air shocks in back, and 90/10 front drag shocks.

Throw in a cassette player, graphic equalizer, and cut holes for 6x9's in the back.

Well, looking back on it the car was fun and got a lot of attention (both wanted and unwanted, if you know what I mean). But knowing what I do now about performance and components that work well together, I sure did a bad job of matching things up.

As to the financial impact, I outgrew that car in college at the height of the gas crisis. If I had restored the car to stock it would have probably paid for my college education; instead I lost thousands... Not even taking into account the "garbage" I threw away.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I spent about 1200 to restore the smog on my 428. I never spent so much money on something so ugly.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL! Rickster, now THAT'S funny! ..... or is it... ::

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I have a story for you about my 69' Boss...

I needed the rev limiter (and for a 69' that is a real chore as the 69' version is VERY rare).

I called the former owner TWO YEARS after I bought the car and asked if he "Might" have stumbled over a few parts for the car since I bought it.

He said he might have and would check.

Two days later, he called and said he had found something that was "metal with some wires"

He had been stumbling over it ON THE DIRT FLOOR IN HIS BARN for quite awhile so he picked it up.

It was my rev limiter, he GAVE it to me, complete with all the wiring intact, it's one the car right now.

Just proved to me it never hurts to ask ::

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL I've already called the PO who owned the car since 1979. No extra parts laying around. But don't think I wasn't hoping!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts