Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the super-duper suspension kit for my 1967 from Mustangs Plus over a year ago with plans to rebuild my suspension. The kit included 5 leaf reverse eye springs because I wanted a 1.5" drop as advertised.

It has been a lot more work than anticipated (usually is) to get to car ready for the rear suspension but I finally got to install it this weekend.

When I completed the installation, I noticed that the the rear axle looks very high in the wheel well. The car was still up on jack stands which supported the frame rail, and I am concerned that if the car sits down any under it's own weight, I won't get anything more than a 14" wheel under the well.

My plans were to put 16X8 or 17X8 inch wheels with low profile tires on the car, but I am now concerned whether they will fit.

Has anyone out there tried this?

P.S. - Shelby drop and 620 drop springs already installed on front.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have mid eye leafs and was just able to squeeze 26.1" tall tires in the back. I could go taller though if they were't as wide.
-Brian

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
You have to worry about backspacing and width... not 14 vs 17. It's called plus sizing tires, the rim gets taller, the profile gets shorter and the overall circumference stays the same.

Follow the charts and stick to the low end of the tire width and you will have no trouble. I've noticed you can run atleast a 1/2" or so of additional backspacing on the rear vs. what the charts recommend so take that into account.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
It may not help with your particular situation, but the picture below shows the Fastback that has 600 Shelby/Branda coils, Shelby drop, and 1" insulators in the front. The rear has 5 leaf CM springs with standard eye. The front tires are 205/60/15s and the rear are 245/60/15s.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have the exact setup you are describing (reverse eye 5 leaf on a 9" axle) and 17" rims (17x8, 4.75"bs, 245/45-17 tire). I did have some tire rub before I trimed the rear fender lips and added under rider traction bars.

http://home.earthlink.net/~hjnsn/sid1a02.JPG

·
Registered
364 Posts
I bought the super-duper suspension kit for my 1967 from Mustangs Plus over a year ago with plans to rebuild my suspension. The kit included 5 leaf reverse eye springs because I wanted a 1.5" drop as advertised.

It has been a lot more work than anticipated (usually is) to get to car ready for the rear suspension but I finally got to install it this weekend.

When I completed the installation, I noticed that the the rear axle looks very high in the wheel well. The car was still up on jack stands which supported the frame rail, and I am concerned that if the car sits down any under it's own weight, I won't get anything more than a 14" wheel under the well.

My plans were to put 16X8 or 17X8 inch wheels with low profile tires on the car, but I am now concerned whether they will fit.

Has anyone out there tried this?

P.S. - Shelby drop and 620 drop springs already installed on front.

Thanks for any advice.

I bet that it won't fit that well. I have the mid eye leafs (also part of the real big kit) and the rear end is sitting pretty low. I have 16x8's on the back. I'm just now working on the front end, and I hope that the 1" drop coils will make the front at least as low as the back is, otherwise I'm gonna have a problem!

-Andy

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
here is mid eyes with 620 drops, shelby drop, and the wieght of a 351. The car sits level to a very slight forward rake.

17x8s 255 rub in the rear. 235 would prob lip completely under

http://www.dodgestang.com/images/newtires3.jpg

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the great info....

Anyone know where I can find "the charts" for a '67? I've seen the nice one on VMF for 65-66.

Thanks Again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts