Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever do a reverse opening hood? Remove the opening mechanism and hinged at the front. There are latches available that will mount on the firewall, and are opened via a solenoid or a cable inside the car.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I've never seen a Mustang with one. My 280z's hood opened like that. I never saw the practicality of it, but it looks kind of cool.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Latches are availible from your local wrecking yard as are the hinges. However, the mounting of such is up to you. As was stated by Beau M, I don't see the practicality of having your hood open backwards but it would draw some folks at a show. I feel the same about Lambo doors. Thats just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
A guy here in town did it on his. Removed the shock towers and threw a 460 in it. Unfortunately I'd have to run into him to get pics of it and talk to him to see how he did it. IIRC he used early 70's corvette parts for the latch, hinge, and prop rods. I like it.....

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
Sounds like a great way to make the engine hard to work on. Now the whole front grill/hood/fender assembly hinging forward could be fun.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like a great way to make the engine hard to work on. Now the whole front grill/hood/fender assembly hinging forward could be fun.
The reason I originally asked the question was my FFR Cobra hood is hinged at the front, and it was very easy to access almost everything. The radiator did have to come out the bottom for maintenance though.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Probably adds a safety element over traditional hood hinge locations since there is no possibility of blow back from an accidental latch release

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
What would really be nice is to adapt some Mercedes (98 C230 anyway) hood hinges. They work like normal, but have the option of opening the hood a full 90 degrees straight up.

·
Registered
353 Posts
What would really be nice is to adapt some Mercedes (98 C230 anyway) hood hinges. They work like normal, but have the option of opening the hood a full 90 degrees straight up.
I'm in the process of fabricating a new hood-latch mount at the front that'll accommodate a pair of latches from a Saab 9000, I like having two latches and these are designed for and will accommodate easy routing of a cable release (easier than trying to adapt a cable to a stock latch.) I'm using a Maier GT350-clone 'glass hood so I'll have to do a bit of work on it to get some reinforcement into the thing for the pins to screw into.

While I'm at it I'll put a couple pins in the hinges to register the hood in place so that it can be unbolted/reinstalled quickly in the proper location.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
My 02 E430 has the same hinges.... Interesting idea.

I do like miketyler's post as well. I have had a hood come up on me and it ruined it....

·
Registered
170 Posts

I am pretty sure all MB hood hinges work like that.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I believe this is what you're looking to do:
Reverse Tilt Hood

VMF Senior Member Onegreedy67 did this a while ago by customizing an Autoloc kit. It's next on my ever growing mods list.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts