Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WE've all heard the term "Rebody" before but how about this one..... ReVingining. Basically this term applies to someone who changes an engine from a C-code to an A-code or K-code or R-code and changes the engine letter in their VIN to match the new engine code they installed. This car was originally a C-code 66 coupe (that I was told was a K-code GT) When I checled out the VIN on this car it had four of them stamped on it. All four were on the driver's side. Two were stamped in the front driver's side apron and two were stamped into the top of the REAR driver's side apron. Two of them were the original VIN stamped by Ford (the C-code) and then there were two more VIN's stamped right next to the original that were identicle to the original VIN with the exception of the "A" in the engine code spot. Obviously the "A" code VIN was not original. Funny thing was the title matched the "A" code vin! LOL They even tried to duplicate the little star. Not being real familiar with the 65/66 models.... were both factory vin's stamped on the driver's side??

·
Registered
316 Posts
Wow, I wouldn't touch that car with a 10 ft pole!

Or if I did I would weld over the original or A code vin to get it back to a single VIN and grind flush.

Chris

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
My 65 from San Jose (schedule build April 1965) had three VIN stampings in the engine compartment. One in the "cut out" area, and one on each side between the shock towers and the fire wall, on the top of the fender aprons, just under the edge of the fenders.

John Harvey

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I heard this was the same reason Marti no longer makes the dash VIN tags. Someone ordered a new one with a different (more desirable) engine code.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JSHarvey said:
My 65 from San Jose (schedule build April 1965) had three VIN stampings in the engine compartment. One in the "cut out" area, and one on each side between the shock towers and the fire wall, on the top of the fender aprons, just under the edge of the fenders.

John Harvey
Yes, this one did too. I was not familiar enough with the 65/66 models to know where their VIN stamps were but I assumed it was the same as a 67/68. I was surprised to see VINS stamped on the REAR aprons on both sides. The RF apron was MIA so I do not know if it had one there too.

As far as buying the car.... I was told it was a "K" code GT coupe with its original hipo engine. If it was I was going to try and lock it in. As so often is the case it was not a hipo engine, it was a late model roller 302 but it did still have its original 4spd, shifter, T-10 and bellhousing as well as the pedals. The front fenders had the GT emblems on them but they are off of the car. The door tag had a "K" in the color code, NOT the engine code on the replacement door. It did not have disc brakes so I assume it was not even a GT. The Rear is supposed to be a 8" traction loc but one side would turn independent of the other. The guy was wanting $600 for two cars, this one and a fairly solid and complete 66 cylinder 3spd coupe (missing its drivetrain) with a nice console in it. All of the parts for the yellow 66 are in both cars. But his price was based on the fact that he thought the trans in the one car was a toploader, which it is not. So the two cars could probably be picked up for $450. Here is a pic of the two cars.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
JSHarvey said:

John Harvey
That is how all 65/66's are suppose to be from
the factory. I have a 65 built Oct 64 that way
and I have seen many others the same way.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
The clown I bought my vert off of also advertised it as a K code car and it was the paint and not the engine. He knew. He was just fishing for a sucker. When you see a thief like that in a crosswalk, it is hard to take your foot off the accelerator.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I gotta get my eyes checked. I thought the subject said "REVIRGINING" :loco:

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Glad someone else read it wrong also. lol

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ylexot said:
The clown I bought my vert off of also advertised it as a K code car and it was the paint and not the engine. He knew. He was just fishing for a sucker. When you see a thief like that in a crosswalk, it is hard to take your foot off the accelerator.
And you opened it any way didn't you. :)

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
DIRTY289 said:
tlea said:
Actually, I have heard that there is a medical procedure that can accomplish that. :shrug:
I thought that it took a religious ceremony.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Hmm, I read it wrong too, and there is a medical procedure to do it. But that's not something we talk about here. ;)

For $450, seems like a decent deal whether the VIN is right or not.

Dusty, was the second VIN clearly a fabrication? I have heard of Ford restamping the correct VIN right beside the wrong one. But then you get into which one was the correct one...

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, the "A" code vin is a "customer" add on. It is croooked and of the wrong font. Yeah, they are probably a good deal since the 66 body is actually very solid and would need no panel replacement. The console, 4spd stuff, two sets of clutch pedals alone is worth the asking price. I've just got no place to keep them right now if I were to get them. If it was a K-code, I would have made room.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Not that it matters but I too have had the Vining done on me. I actually bought a 66 convertible from a seller on this site a number of years ago with the understanding it was a K convertible. The very unscrupulous seller had stamped over the "T" on the aprons so that it kind of looked like a "K". He then rubbed out the "T" on the title and using black ink, fashioned the blur into a "K". Heck, when I called him out on it, he even threatened me.

I don't know if he still trolls this site but I am constantly on the lookout for him to crawl out from under his rock. Others may remember his post as well. It was probably 4 years ago or so.

·
Registered
317 Posts
68RCodeConv said:
DIRTY289 said:
tlea said:
Actually, I have heard that there is a medical procedure that can accomplish that. :shrug:
Most times a couple of beers will work!! :makeout: :shocked:

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
64anahaf said:
68RCodeConv said:
DIRTY289 said:
tlea said:
Most times a couple of beers will work!! :makeout: :shocked:
Beers and a paper sack over one's head will do...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts