Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beautiful day Christmas eve, 65 degrees or so, and I head out to the garage to spend some time with the neglected '66. It's been awhile, I broke in the 289 a few years ago then life got in the way, started working on suspension alignment and fitting fiberglass so the car wasn't in shape to drive, been working on house repairs, paint, shop repairs and paint. Anyhow I pulled the plugs and fogged the cylinders a couple months ago in anticipation of getting this thing started again. So this morning I pull the dist and a valve cover, start cranking on the pump with the speed handle until my arms tire and the rockers are dripping, Pour a little STP on the cam gear, (what we used to use for assembly lube) put everything back and head to town to grab some high test non ethanol. get a little funnel and fill the carb bowl, a few taps on the side of the carb to make sure the float pin isn't sticking. It's starting to come back to me now; The simplicity of the small block Ford, and the prior years of wrenching on them. This particular motor was in a '65 I used to drive in the seventies. Back then if I wasn't working or in school, my friends and I spent all our spare time wrenching on our own or each others cars. Many a Saturday I spent wrenching half the day, then cleaning up the car for date night. This morning the wrenches feel good in my hands. The dist didn't want to quite drop all the way in so I get a 1/4" nutdriver and turn the pump shaft a tad. On the second turn the dist drops right in. I push the car out of the shop, hit the remote button and the the car fires. I hit it once more and now its running, good deal, its a good day. I get in the stripped down interior, I have one seat in there and a set of belts, and back up the drive. Car feels good, it's in a hurry to get to the street. I spend a little time going around the block. The motor really wants to go. I've got a lot of years on me since I've had this motor but the motor feels younger than ever and urges me through the gears. Man it feels good, 20 minutes in the car seems to have taken 10 of my years back. Bring the car back home and drain out the break in oil. Looks real clean but smells a little gassy, I think it will be ok. I'm ready to finish this thing now. Merry Christmas and God Bless to all here, this is a great forum, full of knowledge and folks that don't mind helping out others to keep this hobby alive.

·
Registered
507 Posts
That sounds like an awesome way to spend Christmas Eve. I looked at mine in the garage and was tempted to take it for a spin around the block too, but then looked at all the tools strewn about the interior and on the fender aprons and decided it would be too much trouble for such a short jaunt, especially since I had to prep and start the prime rib for dinner.

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
I drove mine a little on Christmas Eve, worked Christmas Day at my job (ended up being a blessing for me and a fellow I met right at 5pm), and I'm out in vintage iron today. Beautiful weather. Time for a tank of non-ethanol...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts