Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1964 1/2 Convertible - 260 V8 C4 Automatic, Power Top, Console, 4 Wheel Drums
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all.

I am pondering what I need to do to get ready to replace my convertible top,
and one thing that jumps out at me is the weatherstripping.

I took it all off, and it all seems to be in pretty good shape except that it is dirty
and kind of grayed from age.

I see that replacements are availble for all of it, but it will get pricey if I just buy
new stuff all around.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't just try to clean up the old stuff and re-use it?

Is there a good way to revive the old rubber and make it look new again?

Just curious...

Frugally,

-Zim

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
If it's not cracked, PB B'laster has worked pretty well for me.

·
Premium Member
19,225 Posts
I have some fluid called Zymol Seal that I got from www.carcareonline.com for preserving weatherstripping. I tried it on the Honda, but results were really mixed. Nothing bad, mind you, but it wasn't what I was expecting, either.

G

·
I'm replacing the top on my stang soon as well. I asked a "friend of a friend" (You know how that goes) and I was told if I replaced the top I would HAVE to replace the weather stripping. Let me know if you end up using the stuff you have. Especially if it works!!:) It would save me a lot of time and $$$ Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I've succesfully cleaned weatherstrips with lacquer thinner and dressed them with armorall or something similar.Sometimes they'll turn out looking new.Let us know how it works out...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts