Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I recently got my hands on a beautiful restomod 1966 Mustang. It has a 302 V8 bored engine. I drove it on the fwy in 4th gear, between 3000 and 4000 rpms for about 15-20 min. The car was rattling a bit, but I attributed it to the powerful V8 engine. Any harm that can come to the engine or other parts from doing that? (I'm too embarrassed to say why I did it, so dont ask). Just looking to see if I may have caused any damage. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
Heaven forbid, maybe thats why I felt the earth spin backwards like when Superman turned back time!

Reactions: rpm

·
Premium Member
6,062 Posts
The car was rattling, or the enginewas rattling?
With steep gears, 3000 to 4000 RPM isn't a huge deal unless your engine's health isn't up to it.
I don't have overdrive so my 2:80 rear has my engine rev to around 2800-3000 for 2 hours at a time if I take it to where I grew up or to another place where I sometimes go teach. I also have taken it on about a 4 hour trip to a beach... I think the old boy likes to stretch his legs and run now and then...

·
Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the answers...and the sarcasm? I believe the rattling was the car itself and not the engine. So I take it that it prob didnt harm anything and these cars are meant to take some beating (if you can call it that). Its a semi new engine (less than 1,000 miles), so just wanted to make sure.

·
Premium Member
6,062 Posts
I think the original owners manual describes making certain preparations before driving greater than 90 miles per hour for extended periods. I'd say that's pretty durable and you won't find that and any owners manual nowadays.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Small block Ford's are the toughest V8 engines ever created. 3-4K RPM is not a problem. I've witnessed more than one attempt to blow up 289s and none were successful, and that includes a brick on the gas pedal.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
I would have no reservations driving between 3,000 - 4,000 RPM's for 10+ hours on the HWY with a healthy engine in a '66...
I did that from Michigan to California...towing a U-Haul. Granted gas mileage sucked. :) Happiness is now having an overdrive with the T5.

Reactions: 69DroptopGT

·
Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
btw, just to clarify the specs on my car, it's a fresh rebuilt cammed 302 bored engine. Rear end 3.50 gears with trutrac posi. Edelbrock RPM top end kit, water pump 650 cfm carb. Not sure if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Small block Ford's are the toughest V8 engines ever created. 3-4K RPM is not a problem. I've witnessed more than one attempt to blow up 289s and none were successful, and that includes a brick on the gas pedal.
I will agree the 289 is a wonderful and durable engine. My 2nd car was a 67 coupe with a 289. It had 75k on the clock when I bought it(might well have been 175k...who knows?) I drove that thing into the ground...it had been sitting 10 years before I bought it....a little bit of work and it fired up. I drove it tens of thousands of miles at highway speeds all across the country....I even blew a headgasket on the engine and kept driving it anyway...it would get hot sometimes in traffic....shut it off, wait half an hour...then get back in and continue on your way. That poor car...it was still running reliably when I sold it though...even with that blown head gasket...it was probably the most ridiculously reliable engine I have ever owned

·
Registered
37,647 Posts
Sustained high-rpm operation is typically not a problem for the small-block Ford engine.... you should be able to tool around all day at 4,000+ rpm. The things to watch out for when so doing are:
a. Engine Temperature. High-rpm operation, especially with a high-flow water pump, can create enough suction to collapse the lower radiator hose unless a stainless "anti-collapsing" spring is present in the hose. If there is a flow restriction in the radiator or thermostat you can also get "cavitation" of the water pump impeller where there isn't enough coolant flow to be pumped resulting in turbulence and aeration of the coolant.
b. Oil supply. Engines that are suffering from partial restriction of the oil pump pick-up (sump strainer) due to sludge, etc., and/or buildup of foreign material in the cylinder head "drain back" holes can result in lack of oil supply to the engine which WILL, inevitably, result in internal damage.

When everything is in order though, not an issue.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
As noted before, as long as engine temp good and oil pressure fine, 4k is fine for that engine. Probably the vibrations from the engine rattled lose something and now you are hearing it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
What's nice is 4500 in overdrive on the highway with 4.56 gears...Talk about driveshaft critical speed!

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
btw, just to clarify the specs on my car, it's a fresh rebuilt cammed 302 bored engine. Rear end 3.50 gears with trutrac posi. Edelbrock RPM top end kit, water pump 650 cfm carb. Not sure if that makes a difference.
Even a 289 with hydraulic lifters should, be good to hit 5,000 rpm as often as the driver wants it to do so.

As pointed out, cruising for hours @ 4,000 + rpm is not abusive, it's simply exercising the engine as it was designed and INTENDED to be used. My best cross country trips were usually in a Shelby or Mustang with an "ordinary" 289 providing the fun at 4,000+ rpm hour after hour. I wuldnt trade the joy of hearing that beautiful music for all the T-5's money can buy.

Z

PS. no offemce intended to those who love their T-5's. It takes all kinds to make a world.

·
Registered
8,003 Posts
If it was rebuilt well it should be able to spin much higher than that.

Admittedly I had a really good build on my 289 (forged pistons, shot peened rods, cleaned flashing off of crank, etc., and it is balanced to the nth degree), but mine will spin to near 7,000 rpm for short bursts (and has done so many many times). 75 mph is a bit over 3,000 rpm, I've driven sustained at over 85 mph for a good long while.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts