Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Fastback
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used RHS recently for their cylinder heads? In the market for new heads for my 289 (which is being bored 0.03 over) going into the '67 fastback. Will be using a hydraulic roller cam setup and the car is generally a street car with one or two strip days a year.

Pro Action Small Block Ford Aluminum Cylinder Head (20° Valve Angle).
Assembled Head for Roller Cams up to .600" Lift
Combustion Chamber Volume: 64cc
Intake Runner Volume: 180cc
$1600 for a pair.

Thoughts? Any better alternatives for the money?

·
Registered
337 Posts
I don't think they are bad but for that money you could buy AFR or twisted wedge.
If you are staying stock stroke and will be replacing the pistons think about the TW 170s. You get a 53 cc combustion chamber which will keep the compression up on a 289 and they will outflow the RHS heads.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
That 64cc chamber is too big, unless you are going to supercharge or turbo it.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Fastback
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think they are bad but for that money you could buy AFR or twisted wedge.
If you are staying stock stroke and will be replacing the pistons think about the TW 170s. You get a 53 cc combustion chamber which will keep the compression up on a 289 and they will outflow the RHS heads.
Yeah I'm having a look at AFR and TW as alternatives now... Just trying to make sense of bang vs buck vs durability.

That 64cc chamber is too big, unless you are going to supercharge or turbo it.
Assembled Head for Roller Cams up to .600" Lift
Combustion Chamber Volume: 58cc
Intake Runner Volume: 180cc

^ That any better?
They also allow a 200cc intake with the 58cc combustion chamber.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I think stock 289 heads are about 53 CCs so even with 58 CC heads you will be losing compression.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Fastback
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think stock 289 heads are about 53 CCs so even with 58 CC heads you will be losing compression.
I believe it is 54-58cc depending on year of casting but yeah I will loose some, if at all any. I guess I could always mill the cylinder heads to increase compression if needed with a 58cc chamber.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
You will want to choose your head before you choose your piston. That way you can adjust for combustion chamber size and valve relief size/location.

I am very happy with my AFR 165s, milled to 54cc.

Reactions: 1ofAMillion+

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
RHS has a good reputation. So, if you are looking to do a "back-in-the-day" build, and using vintage style stuff, those might be the way to go.
Otherwise, Trick Flow heads are worth looking in to.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Fastback
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The increase in airflow and performance will far outweigh the loss of compression. You will make more power everywhere with a better set of heads.
That's what I was thinking, but either way I will sick with the upper limit of 58cc and then either run with them as they are OR mill 'em down!

You will want to choose your head before you choose your piston. That way you can adjust for combustion chamber size and valve relief size/location.

I am very happy with my AFR 165s, milled to 54cc.
Blocks at the machine shop right now and got some time to pick a head and then the cylinders etc to match.
What's the rest of your engine build?

RHS has a good reputation. So, if you are looking to do a "back-in-the-day" build, and using vintage style stuff, those might be the way to go.
Otherwise, Trick Flow heads are worth looking in to.
Gotcha. Well at least they don't have a bad rep which is what I was afraid of as I didn't really find any forum posts, articles or review videos on the internet... So I was worried they might not even be worth looking at.

·
Premium Member
12,159 Posts
Are the RHS heads the same chinese castings that many of the other (Skip White, FloTek, etc.) are using?

·
Registered
695 Posts
That's a very large intake runner for a street 289.
I went with the Edelbrock E Street heads for my 331 because they have an approximately 160cc intake volume which should help keep velocity up on the street.
The Skip White heads were my first choice, but that large intake runner volume was going to be a problem on the street.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Fastback
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's a very large intake runner for a street 289.
I went with the Edelbrock E Street heads for my 331 because they have an approximately 160cc intake volume which should help keep velocity up on the street.
The Skip White heads were my first choice, but that large intake runner volume was going to be a problem on the street.
For a stock block - probably too large.
But for a bored block with a street/strip roller cam and better flowing intake manifold, 180cc should be the happy medium. I was advised by AFR to look at the 185cc intake head for my specific application when I spoke to them.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
My engine is a 289, .030 over. Flat top, KB hyperurtectic pistons, stock crank and rods, AFR 165s milled to 54cc, Comp Cams Ultra Pro rockers (1.6), Crane H-272-2 flat tappet cam, Performer RPM intake and Holley 600 cfm carb, Duraspark dist w/Crane HI6 box and coil.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The RHS heads may be a Chinese casting but they are not the same as the Skip White, Flotek, Promax, etc. as they have been around longer. Car Craft did a test quite a few years ago where they tested the 180cc versions against Edelbrock E-streets, Gt-40X, Floteks and the Trick Flow TW 170s. The Trick Flow were the top dogs in flow and horsepower with the edelbrock, ford and RHS all quite a ways behind on a mild 302. A more powerful 302 probably would have increased the gap between the Trick Flow and the others. As I recall the Trick Flow made about 380 hp and the others were around 370. Even the Floteks were over 350.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
985 Posts
For that same money I would go with the Trick Flow 11R 190 heads or 11R 170.

Reactions: cheapbastard
1 - 18 of 18 Posts