Once I got the body of the car exposed and did some math on pieces and parts, I decided the Sprint clone was the way to go, so I took advantage of some Memorial Day discounts to get some orders going…first to arrive, TMI Sprint seat covers…these are nice! At the end, if the 2 tone Sprint paint is out of my budget I will fall back to a nice medium-dark blue to tie into the seat color…..might be a year or so before they go on, but at least I have them if they are discontinued…
New Edelbrock linkage bits, cleaned up dead end vacuum lines and made my own bracket to mount throttle cable after findi the Edelbrock bracket was virtually useless, I re bent it, and added my own…. NO more zip ties, and I am awaiting kick down linkage clips.
Latest update, new plugs, wires, distributor, rotor, primary wire, radiator cap. It starts and idles a lot better, and has more power. I also added a fuel filter, it DID NOT HAVE ONE!😡. I am probably going to have to rebuild the carb after seeing the junk in the fuel filter, after 1 mile of driving.
also got a shop vac and wet rags and vacuumed the whole car and wiped dust off of it…it’s been in a garage 25 years….
Today I replaced the hydraulics for the convertible top, new lines and new lift cylinders. So that’s done and the top works properly now. I also hooked up the vacuum modulator which the previous owner disconnected and road tested and found third gear! Since it was warm I brought it home and sprayed Engine degreaser all over the transmission and engine because it was just soaking wet dripping after 25 years in storage. Now I can see where the leaks are actually coming from!
Today’s episode, kick down rod install. It didn’t match up to the Edelbrock carb, so I had to do the extension..it also went thru the path of the new throttle cable bracket I made, so back to the drawing board, new one of those too…I road tested, ran out of gas and recovered from that…the kick down works, I will have to tweak its adjustment as time goes on….
So today I started the new brakes project. I told myself this is a 4 day project. It’s gonna be more like a week or more. I am starting to realize why it takes a couple of years to do a car …LOL. I am old, I can’t do 4 wheels in an evening. Plus, it’s a new car to me. I didn’t order everything I needed. I can’t find my seal puller, parts I could not see are too far rusted and new parts on order…but I am chilled. Plenty of work to do on the car….this side was burned in the fire. Crusty! It’s up on 4 jack stands for a while…once I got the calipers off, the hubs spun freely….
Brake project Day 2.
did a lot of grease and grime and rust cleaning today, as well as some new parts painting…
the car had fire damage on drivers side and is crusty, rusty and melted soft parts. The passenger side looks shiny and in good shape. I have some more new parts on the way, besides the bearings, the front will be all new from spindles out…some parts have been wire wheeled and are awaiting a coat of black paint or Mastercoat treatment…
So just a quick update,
still working on brakes, all 4 corners are done, the new hard lines arrived today. Also got new KYB shocks all around, the coil overs are going in the junk pile. Also picked up my new wheels and tires today, the Tire Rack idiots put the Wide tires and the skinny rims, and the skinny tires on the wide rims, so the tires are now at Discount Tires for a remount on Tire Racks tab.