Vintage Mustang Forums banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1971 302 C4 auto convertible, Grabber Blue/white/white
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I am still working on brakes…how In the world do you get the rear brake line replaced? I can’t get the old one untangled on the firewall or see an exit path!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
So an update, I finally got all the hard lines out, and the new ones in, also got the master cylinder out, and the distribution block in and all lines connected, 4 shocks in, 4 wheel brake assemblies rebuilt. Tomorrow the new master cylinder goes in, brakes get bled, shock tower supports go back in, new wheels and tires go on! If everything comes together test drive tomorrow night, otherwise hope this week!

·
Registered
608 Posts
That's a sharp looking car - I hope you are enjoying the ride. What's next on the agenda?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
That's a sharp looking car - I hope you are enjoying the ride. What's next on the agenda?
More safety stuff, secure the bare wires in the electrical system, fuel system rework, cooling system flush, continue things like attention to the transmission leaks, check rear diff levels,
then next jumbo project will be some body structure repair in the latch pillars, then gut the electrical and start from scratch with new system, and probably do any dash repair while it’s apart…
but first I am going to enjoy it a little. I have no gauges so not confident to drive it more than a short distance….

·
Registered
608 Posts
Well you have a plan - but its great to take it out and feel a bit inspired to more work :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Been driving it short trips now that the brakes are done…seems to be a good driver! I just keep it under 5 miles since I have no gauges….speaking of which, did some electrical troubleshooting and chatting with Midlife. He has Identified my harness parts as 73-in a 71 car….due to the fire damage….everything is so messed up, lots of stuff is spliced, lots doesn’t work…so I think it’s time to upgrade to a modern harness. I tried replacing some parts of it but it’s a loosing battle…

next up cooling system, some fuel system work, neutral safety switch that might not work in 73 harness…and more engine tuning…

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
So progress today.
final rear brake adjustment after brake job,
installed and adjusted neutral safety switch, it works!
adjusted steering interlock linkage so I don’t have to jiggle the steering column to get the key out.
as an added bonus the backup lights work now.
I also drove it in a loop around my house for about 25 miles trying to get something to break or over heat or fail. It ran fine, no problems!😀
seems to be strong and reliable!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)
I‘ve Been doing a variety of things…started stripping trunk so I can refinish it before new wiring….not a lot of rust, but some spot surface rust popping through finish. The trunk is layered with adhesive, then paint, then a dense tar, then paint, then primer, then metal….tough to get through it all….also bought a motorcraft one wire alternator to replace my dead alternator..that should go in this week, also replaced old leaky coil with a new one, car seems to run a little smoother and stronger…

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Attempted to install the alternator today. Apparently it’s not a “1 wire alternator” and requires add wiring, have an ASI Gen 3 plug on the way….

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Progress, alternator is a success. 14.6 volt output. It’s installed properly, clean and only one wire has to be rerouted when I do the American Autowire upgrade. I now have white headlights instead of yellow globes….next up, misc little things, metal work, then wiring and possibly AC, then turn attention dash refresh, body work and panel fitment…then maybe some paint, interior and top…of course that’s a year away!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Got a lot of pieces and parts enroute, currently evaluating the metal work need, and I am stripping the trunk floor….so far a minor few holes but mostly surface rust….still struggling to remove the current coating, a 4.5” brass wire wheel seems to be best option so far….
my layers are…
Primer, Grabber Blue, sprayed on tar/asphalt rock layer, more Grabber Blue, then some adhesive that held down indoor outdoor carpet….the tar layer is the worst!

41 - 56 of 56 Posts