Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im still getting parts together to swap a 5speed richmond into my currently automatic 73 302ci. is there any chance that parts for a T5 such as clutch linkages, crossmembers, etc. would work with the richmond? if anyone has done this swap i could really use some help, thanks.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Why a Richmond?

You'll have to fabricate a crossmember, cut a hole in the tunnel for a shifter, and when it's finished, 5th gear is still 1-1, not overdrive.

But you will need all the standard parts, clutch pedal, push rod, equalizer bar, equilizer bar pivots, toploader style bellhousing, clutch fork, standard spline clutch/pressure plate/throwout bearing, flywheel, etc.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
One of the nice things about the Richmond is the HD factor and you can order LOW 1st and 2nd gears. That way you can run a high rear gear ( like a 2:79 ) and have the effect of OD along with the great launch of a low rear gear. (like a 4:11 or lower)
I may consider this down the road.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
It still wouldn't be as good as an OD. You'd be turning higher RPMs in a 1:1 5th with 2.79's than you would with a .63 overdrive with 3.55's and could probably run even steeper rear gears with a lower RPM than you'd have with the 1:1 and high way gears.

I turn lower RPM's on the freeway with my AOD than either of my kids do with their 1:1 trannies and highway gears (I have a 3.50). A T5 or TKO will have an even lower RPM with it's better OD gearing than the AOD has.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Agreed.
I do beleive that the richmond will handle more torque, than the factory stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts