Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a 65 6 cyl, with a 302 V8. I've fitted Scott Drake Contour Coil Springs, for a 65 V8, which should lower the car about an inch. The actual springs seem a lot shorter off the car, like 2-3" shorter, and have a 600lb rating.
I want to do a rough positioning of the front wheels, without the springs in (because my engine isn't fitted yet, so can't sit under load) to take a camber measurement, just to get an idea how far out it is from the Shelby Drop spec. Oh, yeh, I've done a Shelby drop too!
I'm running 17" wheels with 215/45 tires. Can anyone make an educated guess at where the tire will sit in relation to the wheelarch please? I know it's only rough, but I can't fit the engine for a while yet, and want to know how far out it is.
Cheers guys

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
It's widely reported that one byproduct of the "Shelby Drop" is that it effectively lowers the front end by 5/8" all by itself. I would say you're worried about this issue way too early, an exercise in futility. You won't know how it will sit until the car is fully completed and been driven. You've got bigger fish to fry right now. :)

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Ok, thanks 4ocious, so now I need to know if anyone has those springs fitted to a 65-66.
There’s plenty of people running similar drop springs and the Shelby drop, your only difficulty may be in finding someone with the same diameter tire/wheel combo. You may wanna post what your overall tire diameter is so others can compare for you.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tyre dia is 24.5".
My mate is trying to convince me to fit a Vario-Centric camber adjust to the lower arm. I'm just didn't really fance drilling and welding the chassis at this stage in the game, now that my paintwork is done.

·
Registered
20,344 Posts
Generally for a performance suspension you want the lower arms parallel to the ground when sitting. So maybe place a piece of tubing or something across and jack it to make the arms level with the ground. Then do your rough camber setting.

I'm running the SD .620", 600 pound per inch springs with a half coil cut off. With a 215/60/15 tire I'm at 24.75" from floor to fender lip. Some reason the photo link isn't working

·
Registered
282 Posts
Tyre dia is 24.5".
My mate is trying to convince me to fit a Vario-Centric camber adjust to the lower arm. I'm just didn't really fance drilling and welding the chassis at this stage in the game, now that my paintwork is done.
I'd look at Opentacker for camber adjusting stuff - it's worth it to be confident that our crap roads won't screw up your carefully set up adjustments

·
Registered
20,344 Posts
I
I'd look at Opentacker for camber adjusting stuff - it's worth it to be confident that our crap roads won't screw up your carefully set up adjustments
I agree with englishman. A great modification to do. Not terribly hard. It really uncouples that caster/camber compromise and opens the door to a wider range of alignment. The Opentracker kit is great. With the blocks, there's no way camber is going to change at all. The variable cam used on later Mustangs is prone to slipping

1 - 9 of 9 Posts