Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So have done some research about ride height here on the forum. But I still have a question. Roughly the ride height on mine with 14x7 wheels is roughly 25 3/4 in the rear. I say roughly cause I just used a yard stick. So from what I have seen here that is normal.

My concern is what happens when my family gets into the car. Besides my wife I have 3 kids, 2 nine yrs and 1 eleven. The car lowers considerably and on steep angles or large bumps scrap the bottom.

I read somewhere, can't remember where exactly, that there are shocks out there that guarantee ride height. Some say up to 1200 pounds. Is that all it is, I just need stiffer shocks? Are these worth looking into or do I have another problem?

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Welcome to VMF. You didn't mention the model year of your Mustang. I don't recommend shocks that add to carrying capacity. The upper shock mounting structure is not designed for continuous load carrying.

You can increase load capacity by changing the leaf springs. Many leaf springs are availible: Stiffer, higher etc.

There's a sticker/decal either on the passenger door jam or the glove box. It shows the load capacity of your car. Not to be negative but these cars weren't intended as family passenger cars.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I think the only way to maintain a static ride height as the load increases would be airbags in the rear (not air shocks) with a system that adjusted pressure as the load increased. Or super stiff springs might do it, but the ride would probably be pretty harsh un-loaded.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to VMF. You didn't mention the model year of your Mustang. I don't recommend shocks that add to carrying capacity. The upper shock mounting structure is not designed for continuous load carrying.

You can increase load capacity by changing the leaf springs. Many leaf springs are availible: Stiffer, higher etc.

There's a sticker/decal either on the passenger door jam or the glove box. It shows the load capacity of your car. Not to be negative but these cars weren't intended as family passenger cars.
Thank you. It is a 66 coupe. I don't take your comment negatively at all. I totally understand and I really bought the car for me an my wife but the kids enjoy riding in it as well. I suppose for just a once in a while thing we can live with it. I don't really want to go with stiffer springs as I don't want a harsher ride. No big deal.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
stick a big pair of spring shackles in the back i guarantee you will never scrape again... at least until the springs wear out.

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
stick a big pair of spring shackles in the back i guarantee you will never scrape again... at least until the springs wear out.
YIKES!!! Don't go there - and don't fix this with shocks, the mounts are not made to support loads, just shocks.

Fix the problem with new springs. Might go heavier if you drive with them a lot but I'm willing to bet plenty of folks will weigh in on new stock springs and a family load.

Good luck,

M

·
Registered
39 Posts
I know everyone says no air shocks, and I would agree, today. However, when I had my 66 Mustang in 1973, I had air shocks (no problem with axle angle either) jacked up way higher in the rear then I should have. Loaded it with 4 of us football players, drove it like I stole it, and 4 wheeled in it, and NEVER had a problem with the air shocks until the line hit the muffler. Then down we went.

Ahhhh.......for the good old days!!!

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Shackles and air shocks are an absolute no-no. As stated the shocks overload their mounting point PLUS they unload the springs and lead to wheel hop and they raise the center of gravity.

Shackles overload the rear of the spring thus raising the center of gravity and unloading the front of the spring which leads to wheel hop. Plus the overloaded shackle mounts can fail and the shackles go right up into the trunk.

New springs are the only option IMO.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I'm thinking I will need to go to stiffer springs. I am also going to 15x7 wheels and tires so I thinks the stiffer springs will be a must.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
A lot of us did things that were cool to our cars in the 70's. Jack up the rear with long shackels and air shocks.

Both of these make the car unstable. The air shock besides making the car unstable overloads the upper shock mount. There's an engineering term called fatigue analysis. Overloading something may not cause failure for a week, month or year. Depends on how often the stress is applied, if it's reversing etc.

Cars aren't like firecrackers, if it doesn't go off it's a dud, probably won't. Fatigue is additive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts