Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
67 Coupe 200/C4 I have no past history on the car. There are firewall holes that suggest it may have had an add-on AC.

The tires are to tall 26.7". Current height from the fender lip to the ground is 28" F and 26.5" - R Everyone is embarrassed to ride in the car.

Im going to go with a 25.5"/26" tire on 15x6/7 TTD or 15x7 Magnum500s.

The shorter tire will get me to 26" from the fender lip to the ground on the rear. I would like another 1", so maybe a lowering block.

What is the best way to get the front from 28" to 25"? The tire will drop it to 27.5", I need another 1.5".

My 65 is 24"/25". I believe it has the arning drop, cut coils and midleafs. All done by the PO.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hi I have a 67 coupe that used to be a 6 banger but I have changed it all to V8 with 620lb coils and std leafs still on back, 215/60/15 front and 245'60/15 (thinking of going with a 275/50/15) on rear but still need to change the leaf springs yet. At present the fender to ground is 26'' front and 28'' rear with no arning drop (need to do it yet). You will still have the skinny tall 6 cyl front coil springs, you could cut them but if you cut too much they could become loose, in your case I would change the springs and do the arning drop, the ''A'' arms are the same as the V8 but would suggest new ones because they are bound to be worn out after 50yr's unless they have already been replaced. The rear you could go with new springs mid eye or reverse eye and/or lowering blocks to get lower depending on tire choice which is also a deciding factor on your final vehicle stance.

Personally I do not like vintage Stangs slammed to the ground, I would how ever like a fraction lower on the front of mine mainly because I am molding my car on the 70 model muscle cars that I grew up with that had a slight rake to them with fat rear tires.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
If everyone is embarrassed about riding in your car, you probably shouldn't have modified the wheels/tires so much. Using a more classic-style wheels with slightly bigger tires would solve this issue.

·
Registered
257 Posts
If everyone is embarrassed about riding in your car, you probably shouldn't have modified the wheels/tires so much. Using a more classic-style wheels with slightly bigger tires would solve this issue.
Actually he does not state what tires and wheels he has on it (which would help us out) plus if the car is unmolested, the the rear could be just worn out and saggy, the early stangs even when new sat on their haunches.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought this car in Oct 18, Ive only put about 100 miles on it. Between work, grand kids, travel, illness, Ive just paid the monthly storage on it and started it up once in a while.

I think the PO only had it a short time. he bought it for his wife and she wanted AC, so it wasnt driven much.

I have 215/75/14 on 14x6 Torino GT wheels. I converted the car from 4 to 5 lug. 8" 2.79, 5 lug power drum, I will go to a manual disc/drum setup down the road.

When I bought the car it had 225/60/14 BFG on the stock 4 lug steel wheels. 24.7" tall.

The tires have nothing to do with the front end being 1.5" taller than the rear end. Thats the embarrassing part, it looks like a prerunner.

I think the rear springs are original, it has the correct shackles, but the whole car looks like it was a shell at one point and put back together with who knows what.

The entire front suspension is new. Every single part except the springs. No dirt or oil on any of the suspension, front or rear. Installed by the PO.

The font springs have new insulators as well.

Except for the 5 lug conversion, I have not done any suspension or mechanical work.

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
How about a picture?
Maybe it just needs the Arning drop and new rear leafs. I'm running 14x6 SS wheels but I chose a tire with too much sidewall...So I'm driving it a lot to wear them out haha

Reactions: Huntingky

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,324 Posts
Almost sounds like you have V8 coils with 6 cylinder weight. See if 75-100 pounds weight on the front gets you near where you want to be.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can the spring seats be installed incorrectly?

The car also has a lot of negative camber.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
Can the spring seats be installed incorrectly?
Yes, but a pic of how the springs sit at each end now would be worth something. As for the negative camber, not surprised. The tires are out of range tall vis a vis wide and would require that. Also, I highly doubt your rear sits too low, although without pics it's hard to say for sure. It's the springs that set ride height more than any other single item you can point at, and your front is reportedly high. Bring the front down, do the Arning UCA mod if not already done, that's good for 5/8" right there, and get new front coils in there or cut the one's you have down 1/4 coil at a time (after driving the thing) until you see what you want. Get more appropriately sized tires.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A couple pics of my prerunner before I take it down to run the Baja this year!

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Fastback 289 4 spd, 65 convertible 5.0L 5 spd. 3.73 8.8
264 Posts
A couple pics of my prerunner before I take it down to run the Baja this year!
I think you just need to replace the rear springs, they are weak and probably original. Mustang were kinda low in the rear when they were new. I just put new springs in the rear. I like level or a little rake. Here is mine now

Attachments

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I dropped the tire size down to a 25.5" tire, that still puts the rear end at a height of 26" and the front end at 27.5", Its not the rear springs.

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
Step 1 is to know what you are working with. Guessing and adjusting will get you nowhere but poorer for the experience. Any way to get the parts list from the PO?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Take your tire height out of the equation, measure from the center of the axle or hub to the wheel opening edge. Compare that to some of these cars at mustang Steve's ride height page.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Matter, that is helpful.

Based on Mustang Steves info, the rear is probably ok. The front is way out of whack.

Again, I have idea on the past history of the car. The front springs are probably not the originals, and/or maybe the spring seats are installed backwards. When the weather clears up Im going to put the front end on jacks and take the springs out to measure them. I will probably cut 1/2 a coil off and see where that puts the front end.

Im going from a 200 to a 250 and sometime later I will add AC, so there will be more front end weight than the car has now.

If the car ends up being to low, I will replace the springs

1 - 15 of 15 Posts