Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to put subframe connectors on my car, but I have the shelby drop and lowering suspension. What is the lowest height clearance from the ground people would say is safe? I am concerned about running into stuff on the ground. What are other peoples ground clearance and are they happy with it? I am using the global west subframe connectors. Thanks.

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,681 Posts
It kind of depends on where you drive (Smooth roads, pot holes, off road, etc....) and how much of a load you expect to carry. I've got Hooker super comp headers and progressive front springs on my car. I can clear my own driveway apron but speed bumps are an issue. Plus, with 2 passengers and a trunk full of luggage, on the disintegrating freeways here in the Golden State, transitions (overpasses and irregular pavement patches) often result in full suspension compression at speed so every millimeter counts!!

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
On my '66, I have FlowTech Terminators headers, which are exactly 3" from header flange to the pavement. Speed bumps are a challenge, but as long as I go slow, I can clear most of them. Driveways with a sharp crown are usually out of the question. I have banged the headers on the pavement on the freeway, at speeds, when hitting a dip.

On my '69, I used the TinMan subframe connectors and Hooker Comp headers. I have tons of ground clearance with these parts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts