Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did Ford produce and sell any right hand drive 641/2 - 73 Mustangs?

If so, how rare are they; production numbers; availablility?

Would it be worth trying to import one for restoration / collection?

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
No, Ford did not build any factory produced right hand drive cars but they did manufacture knock down kits that were assembly in some countries overseas and depending on the country may have been fitted with right hand drive.

My opinion is that importing and restroing would be a labor of love and a lost investment. Resale would be tough.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
There were stangs sold overseas that were right-hand drive, a friend of mine has a 68 GT Coupe (from the UK I think, not 100% sure though).

I've heard two stories:
1) that Ford actually produced them, and
2) That a second company did conversions.

Not sure which is correct, but I suspect both. Memory is foggy here, maybe one of our Australian VMF'ers could clear this up.... Didn't Australia mandate at one time all left-hand drive cars had to be converted to right-hand drive to stay on the road? If this is correct when was it?

I believe any Mustangs sold origonally in the UK would have been right-hand drive.

As for productions #s I don't know.

SprintCC

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
IIRC Ford produced around 40 mustangs (cant remeber what year, probably 64 or 65) to use for mostly promotional purposes in Australia. Very few were done by ford. The rest have been since converted by restorers/importers. Now howver, we can get current model mustangs from ford RHD, albeit at a very expensive price.

G

·
0 Posts
Last Saturday I spent a good hour drooling over a sweet 66 GT FB, that was delivered RHD in Australia. Apparently Ford Australia did the conversion after receiving the car from the US.
Anyway, it's for sale at a place called All American in Perth, Western Australia, for AUD$40,000, about US$22,500.

G

·
0 Posts
Also, up until about 5/6 years ago, all LHD cars had to be converted to RHD in some states. This isn't the case any more, but if you do drive a LHD car in Western Australia at least, you have to have a sticker that goes across the whole back of the car that says "Caution: Left Hand Drive"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts