Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's come time for me to finally properly bend a rigid fuel line from the pump to the carb. I've got an edelbrock 1406 carb, so I will be using flexible fuel line toward the carb with an inline filter. The part I am unclear about is the actual routing of the rigid line along the front of the engine. Currently, I have just put two 90 degree bends in the fuel line because I haven't had to worry about the power steering pump; but now that I am faced with mounting the pump, I want to properly tuck the fuel line away. Can anyone describe or show me pics of how the rigid fuel line is routed from the pump? I know that vapor lock is a large factor in the actual proximity of the fuel line to the engine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
466 Posts
put the fuel filter BEFORE the pump.. what good is the filter if the stuff gets into your pump and screwes it up and cant even pump the fuel into the filter after that? atleast thats the way i read your post.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I have a different opinion (kinda' like bellybuttons, everyone's got one) ::

Put the filter AFTER the pump,..the reasons are:

1) The filter is a restriction, fuel pumps are made to push, not pull. I have seen high speed fuel starvation result from a CLEAN filter on the inlet siide of the fuel pump. The screen in the tank (it's not really a filter) will catch the big stuff at the most likely source (the tank).

2) It is more likely that the fuel pump will be the source of contamination as it has numerous seals and rubber bits in it that move ALOT and can/will disintegrate.

The negatives are that the filter is on the discharge (read high pressure) side of the action. The good news is we're only talking 6 - 8psi here. ::

(just showin my bellybutton er..ah..."opinion"!)

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys, thanks for the posts on the filter, but I've already got that covered. I've got one filter after the tank but before the pump. Then I've got another filter after the pump and before the carb. I just really need to know where the rigid line goes...the picture helps a lot! Thanks! What is the general proximity of the line from the engine? I don't want to get it too close that it causes vapor lock.

Thanks again for all the great replies.

Jeff

·
Registered
466 Posts
if you have even the slightest thought of racing this car at a track of any sort, it has to be less then 12 inches of rubber tub coming from the car... thats a good rule of thumb i think.... if you do get vapor lock cover the metal tubing with a rubber hose. make a cut so it slips right over, it looks good if you make it as long as the pipe. imo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts