Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got two pistons in my 351 C, It's bored 30 over and I have found so far that i don't have to file any rings yet. THe gaps all fall within spec's..but! I noticed when i took a piston out, to check on things, that the spaces your suppose to leave between the ring ends moved. I cranked the engine over by hand only twice to spread oil. Rings (End Gaps) were further apart, none overlapping however. So why set them! i would think while the engine is running that the rings will travel around the piston never staying in one place forever, or am i wrong?

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Hey, who really knows what's going on in there....?

Not me...*G*

Just put the gaps out of time 180 degrees and make sure the gaps aren't on the thrust side of the piston....this applies to the oil rings as well...

They may be responding to the crosshatch in the cylinder...I've had hydrualic rods rotate like that because the seals are following the honing marks in the cylinder...

Just remember to keep turning the engine over to a minimum once you've assembled it until you're ready to fire....

Once they pressurize, they should stay in place and once seated, they're set....

I hope...*G*

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

1 - 2 of 2 Posts