Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola amigos,

I'm going to start some interior work on the car and had a couple of questions.

I want to pull the carpet to check the floors. The floors feel, look, and sound solid, but I want to pull the carpet and be sure. Most I'm hoping to see is some loose change and surface rust (famous last words!! :: ::)

1. Can I yank out the carpet and material underneath it, and reuse it after I am done? I don't have the dinero to buy new carpeting, plus I like my car's worn in feel, so replacement is not for me right now.

2. If I can, what do I use to hold it down? glue? what type?

Newbie questions, but I have never worked on anything like this before.

Thanks for any info

Jorge

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
You never know what a previous owner has done, but usually the carpet is just laid in place and not glued. So if it hasn't been glued in, you should be fine.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Most carpet and especially worn in or used carpet will naturally be shaped to your floors. There shouldn't be any reason to glue it down. IF someone before you glued the carpet down you may have trouble reusing the carpet as the padding underneath will almost certainly rip off leaving the bottom of the carpet uneven. Otherwise, I see no problems with taken the old out and putting it back in.

I suggest, since you're already taking the carpet/seats/belts out, that you take the time to sand the floors and then treat them with a sealer. They even make one that helps dampen noise that comes through the floor. Use this LIBERALLY (although it will splatter some so becareful). And let it dry thoroughly.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. Yes, the reason I am taking the carpet out is to sand any surface rust out and then put some sealer on there, and not worry about it, as reasonably possible that is. ::

Thank you,

Jorge

p.s what is that sealer you mentioned? I was thinking of using Rust Bullet on anything I find. Any experience with that? I think it's time to post another question. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts