Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there any way you can get ripped off when u get a engine rebuilt like can they use rebuilt pistons or something liek that and say there new or not grind the crank or something????

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Of course. The real problem though, is shabby workmanship.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This whole world is full of con artists!!! Always be careful, and investigate before you commit to a company!!

65 coupe 302
(rebuilding a 351W)

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Of course. You can't see whats inside your engine unless you take it apart. So your subject to being taken. Always check around before having any major engine work done. Word-of-mouth IS the best avertizement! Sometimes the backyard mechanic that's been building engines forever is the best bet.
Anything can go wrong in a engine rebuild. Even if it's done right. Parts can fail etc...

Lancaster, South Carolina
66 Coupe, 302, Auto, 3.25 gears. [color:red]Candyapple Red</font color=red> with White Pearl Stripes. Cragars.
http://web.infoave.net/~ronniek

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Years ago, a guy I knew took his block in along with all new cam, lifters, pistons, lifter, pushrods, etc... Soon after installation, the engine ran like crap so he finally pulled it and disassembled it and to his surprise, he had an old used cam, lifters, pushrods, etc... The guy kept all the new parts for himself thinking he would never know. Well, my friend took him to court and won.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
There are no free lunches! Anytime you get a bargain quote, its a very good idea to get references and check with the better business bureau before doing business. Fact is it costs about $1200 to do an absolutely minimum, but complete rebuild. Prices go up from there. One of the best buys I have seen lately is Ford Racing's Explorer 302. They sell this engine new for about $1500. The only problem with using this engine in an early car is doing all the conversion stuff needed to make it fit. It costs about $1,000 more to adapt it.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
When I rebuilt the 390 in my 78 F-250 Trailer Special, the rebuilt heads with hardened valve seats went bad in 3 months (obviously the seats not installed as asked. Additionally, I had to call everyday to get my crank back after he had it for 3 weeks longer than quoted. I had to assemble the engine and hit the road in 3 days. Had low power, couldn't get the engine to ping, even up to 45 degrees advance. Turns out he gave me a 360 crank and the pistons stopped about 2 tenths of an inch shy of the top! The machinist is lucky I had moved to another state when I discovered that! I hadn't exercised the S&W lately.

Tom Kubler, Long-time Mustang Enthusiast & San Antonio Mustang Club Founder

1 - 7 of 7 Posts