Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in November, a deer decided to jump out of the woods and T-bone my '69 mach 1. It managed to do a fair amount of damage to the side of my car but it could have been worse I suppose. Part of the damage included ripping the passenger side sport mirror completely off of the door. It even pulled the Rivnuts through the door. The car is in the shop now and I bought all the replacement parts including new rivnuts but I don't think the shop has a rivnut tool. Can anyone recommend a site to buy one from? I want to make sure the mirror gets installed properly.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
107 Posts
I got mine from McMaster Carr in Georgia
Website is McMaster-Carr

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Be sure to notch the hole for the riv nut so it doesnt rotate. If I didnt have a bunch to put in, this is the best tool I have found to install them. Gives you the best feel for when they are expanded properly on the other side. The other with the mister twister pull lever works faster if you have a lot of them to install.

http://store-planetools.com/ProductImages/rivenuttools/L845%20Rivnut%20ToolAA.jpg

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Like Buckeye said--a bodyshop without a Rivnut tool???? OoooKay...

I bought mine at Harbor Freight. If you buy the Harbor Freight one, don't use the Rivnuts that come with it for your mirrors--get steel rivnuts as they are much stronger. The HF ones are aluminum and the threads are easy to strip/pull out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts