Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '68 had a Holley on it when I got it and it was in bad shape, loosing vaccumm and leaking gas. It is an older Holley like I havent seen before. not the typical config with the fromt and back bowls. It has the one piece top. I swapped the 4100 off my '67 and it runs much nicer but does not have anywhere near the power the Holley gave it. It ran great on my '67 though.
I was thinking Edlebrock but I want the most performance I can get.
So my question is just how hard is the road demon to tune? What is involved with tuning it?

I might go Holley but I have heard good things about the road demon (holley vs road demon aprox $60 is it worth it?)

·
Registered
19,954 Posts
it runs much nicer but does not have anywhere near the power the Holley gave it.

I'm wondering if you're refering to the feeling when the secondaries open on the Holley. If you are, what you're feeling is lost power. That is, the power has fallen off because the secondaries are opening up way too late, causing a dip in power. You should feel a seamless flow of power. Maybe this is why the Holley feels stronger then the 4100.

I have the Edelbrock, very nice carb, easy to tune for a mild motor on the street. The Demon is a great carb too.

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
I just dumped my Holley for and Edelbrock. Ahhh, so much nicer. I feel like I lost some power but I don't have the Edelbrock fully tuned yet, so it's not really a fair comparison. Let's just say that after 5 years, I still didn't have the Holley fully tuned (of course, I'm lazy). I bolted the Edelbrock on, and no more bogging. Plus, now when I change jets, I don't spill gas all over my intake, which right there is enough to make the decision for me.

G

·
0 Posts
Holleys and Demons are much more tunable than Edelbrocks but can be a royal pain in the ass to troubleshoot when they are performing poorly. I have a Speed Demon 750 with mechanical secondaries and love it but it took a while to get it to where I was happy with the performance.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't realy tell when the secondaries open on either carb, its a "seat of the pants" feeling. Really a noticeable difference in performance.
The 4100 cane off a stick car and my '68 is a c4 if that makes any difference?

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
So, tell us the rest of the story.....like the details about the engine and drivetrain, perhaps?? *G*

Hard to recommend a carb in an information vacuum....

hehehe

IME, the best carb to tune is the one which is tuned by someone else....IOW, they all have their idiosyncracies.....
Personally, I've found the 4100 on the D-coder to be very reliable and forgiving of my neglect...

Get back to us...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts