Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got back last week from a trip to Grand Canyon, decided to drive the Mustang and explore a tiny part of old Route 66 while I was there. I drove 1200 miles, mostly highway at speeds under 70mph. I get a little vibration above 70 plus I was trying to save a little on gas, it was $3.89 a gallon when I left CA and about $3.20 in AZ. My overall mileage for the trip was 17.7mpg, I have a 302 with Carter 4bbl, 4-speed SROD (0.70 4th gear) and 3.55 rear end. Cruising is about 2200-2300rpm, I get plenty of engine and wind noise then too. I also got lots of luv from other drivers on the roads and when I stopped for gas. Managed to do a little off-roading while searching for campsites in the Kaibab National Forest, all the sites in the National Park were already reserved so I saved a few bucks by utilizing our public lands. I drove down through the Prescott area to visit family before heading home on a nice mountain road, and then sat idling in 90+ heat a couple of times waiting for a single lane to be opened by the flagman. Car stayed cool, the electric fan kicked on a number of times as expected.
The first picture was sent to me by a former co-worker, I was leaving a rest stop near Needles as he was pulling in. I have since cleaned up the contact for the non-working backup light.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
That is an awesome trip! Good time memories. I put a 5.0 HO/AOD into my '66 and the AOD sure makes the highway speeds better. I had to go to the 3.5 rear gears to get the rpm's up a little. It would lag going up a hill in O.D...lol Looks like you had good weather too.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very nice, glad everything went so well for you. Not sure I could spend that amount of time in the seat of my car. I'm just not that young anymore.
That part was tough, I'm 57 and a little over 6'1", after hiking the canyon the next day sitting in the car for over 600 miles was tiring. I had to walk around a bit every time I stopped. One of these days I'll upgrade the seats but for now it's what I have so it's what I drive.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
That part was tough, I'm 57 and a little over 6'1", after hiking the canyon the next day sitting in the car for over 600 miles was tiring. I had to walk around a bit every time I stopped. One of these days I'll upgrade the seats but for now it's what I have so it's what I drive.
I'm 58, 5'11", but I've had 4 back surgeries. Sometimes I can drive LD, sometimes not, and as you said, those stops become very important. So, do it while you can, and enjoy it, the car and all the driving.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
You came out at the right time of year...our few weeks of spring before the heat of summer settles in for a few months. I've got a serious itch for a road trip, and seeing your pics makes it even worse. Glad you had a good time. I am 6'1", and 58 years old, and even though the seats in my 65 are nothing compared to what's available now, they still don't make the ride too uncomfortable to me. I'm running a Toploader with 3.55 gears in the rear, and get similar mileage to what you got with the OD. Go figure!

·
Registered
9,472 Posts
You came out at the right time of year...our few weeks of spring before the heat of summer settles in for a few months. I've got a serious itch for a road trip, and seeing your pics makes it even worse. Glad you had a good time. I am 6'1", and 58 years old, and even though the seats in my 65 are nothing compared to what's available now, they still don't make the ride too uncomfortable to me. I'm running a Toploader with 3.55 gears in the rear, and get similar mileage to what you got with the OD. Go figure!
When your weather gets too hot, come to Colorado Springs. You may never leave. :smile2:

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Road trip 2

We just finished our road trip- Pony Drive @ 55. We started at Santa Monica Pier and travelled most of RT 66 to OKC before doing I-40 to Charlotte. My 64 just got a 2.80 as the 3.25 bearing went (3rd rear but at 400,000 miles)With the T-5, I was averaging over 20 mpg's this time. With the 22 gal tank, it's a long way between gas stops! The others stopped a lot more than I did! We've done portions of RT 66 over the years and it just doesn't get old. We try to keep daily mileages down so the older bodies can recover at the sightseeing stops. The 25* and snow in Williams wasn't much fun! Glad you had as great a time as we did!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
That is awesome guys. I have been on short trips of about an hour lately, drove to a local show in Montgomery, AL and back yesterday, and I drive local very often. Last time I took a road trip of any length was about 5 hours to a beach, 12 years ago !! My wife was pregnant with our second son and it was HOT on the way home. I've never heard so much b|tch|ňg and complaining in all of my days. I'm scarred for life. But I had a blast driving, I'm 6'2" 230lbs, still have my original seats, and I really want to go again.

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It might be the fact that I don't have any vacuum advance hooked up, I've read that hurts mpg. One of these days I'll work on that, unhooked because it knocked too much when connected.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Awesome to see so many road trips happening recently! Our old ponies never seem to get to stretch their legs as much as they should :)

Can't wait for road trip season myself either... I've saved up a good 3 weeks of vacation so I'll have a nice big loop around half the country to get myself out of Texas for a bit.

Off-roading around in our cars is so much fun! Mostly I just like it because of the looks that you get from other people. You'd think that they'd never seen a 1960's muscle/pony car in a campground before... :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts