Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

Let's start this off right! Here's the link to the Pics! (I had to tear my website up to make them all fit)

Anyway,..I met Opentracker, missed Autoxsteve (but spoke on the cellphone) and missed Kbmwrs. But as you can tell I was madly taking pics of cars and their details.

Friday started with a look in the rearview of the rental to find a Sapphire Blue 66' like mine behind waiting in line with us to get in (see pics). The cars are stopped so I get out and talk to the driver while we wait, guess what IT HAS A PAXTON on it just like mine! Cool! On to the track where ALL 3 Daytona Coupes in existence are on the track at the same time. Derek Bell was really thrashing the #9 car. Too many GT 40s, Cobras and R model mustangs on the track to count. Absolute HEAVEN! Ten minutes into practice a GT40 spins right in front of us!

Note as well, of the SIX GT40 Mark IV cars built, only 4 survive and all 4 were there. I saw 3 of them on the track at the same time.....RACING!

Saturdays Trans AM race was won by Jamie Mattola (real nice guy) driving the former Peter Brock (school bus yellow #16 Boss 302). He passed the former 1971 Champion AMC Donohue #6 (which he also owns, restored it in 7 months go figure) car on the last turn of the last lap for the win. Awesome door to door racing for lap after lap. These guys were RACING, not giving each other the line or wave by. I took TONS of undercarriage and exhaust pics. Unbeleivable fabrication work, (the Penske Sunoco car was amazing)

Earlier Saturday a 427 Comp Cobra ate the sideoiler and oiled the braking area into the last turn (#12?), spun and off the track almost into the tire wall. resulting in at least three GT40s spinning 360's off the track into the dust. Then the real bad news....the ONE AND ONLY Fliptop Cobra built by Shelby American hit the oil,. spun and creamed the passenger side into the tire barrier. They kept it under cover rest of the the day but I saw it and it was BAD,..real BAD...teary BAD....very sorry bad....

As for celebs, I personnally met Walt Hane, George Follmer, Dan Gurney and Jackie Stewart (he drove a Tyrrel F1 car) in the pits. Follmer walked up when I was chatting with Mike Eddy (the Edlebrock chassis guy) and introduced himself.

Really cool hanging in the pits with these guys....(advise going very early or staying really late because the stars come out after the "tourists" leave.

The B Production/FIA race on Sunday was awesome too but the day started right when another look in the rearview produced another GT40 on the street (see pics). Again ALL 3 existing Daytona Coupes on the track with 289 Cobras, R models etc....awesome! I was DYING TO GET OUT THERE with them!

(Note to self,....I need more compression)

Tired,...gotta' go! enjoy the pics everyone! :: :: :: :: ::

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Yes indeed, sorry to have missed the festivities....busy yanking an engine this weekend...

but driving those Monterey backroads is always nice...can't wait to finish the beast to cruise around in it...

re:#6 Boss passing the AMC... and winning the race

I think we all know what would have happened had the boss been around in 71.

;)

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is a reinforcement for the master cylinder it stops the flexure you get at the firewall when your slamming on the brakes trying to haul down from 100+ mph. Makes the pedal feel much, much better. It sockets onto the two mounting studs for the master cylinder.

Mike Eddy built this and it's installed on both Christi and Camee Edlebrocks 65/66 Shelbys.

I have seen similar on other vintage race cars but jnone that looked so nice.

You can bet I'm building one for mine. ::

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Great! I feel like I've eaten Chinese, a half hour later (after starting to look through the photos) I find myself wanting more! ;)

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Charlie. Sorry I missed you.
You didn't mention that Opentracker, his SWMBO and I got parade laps on the track in his 65 Falcon Squire wagon! Got over 50 mph with the 170 cid 6 banger!
Presently, we're in Cotati, CA and headed for wine country tours.

G

·
Hey Charlie,
I just took a look at your Monterey pics and noticed a few at the #2 turn during the ol'corvette races. My son and I were at the same spot. I was sitting on that overturned blue barrel next to the fence.

Ahhh so near and we still didn't meet. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts