Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Roadtrip!

8K views 93 replies 29 participants last post by  F23 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I've been reading a lot more than posting for the last few years, but that might change a bit considering my current undertaking. I'm roadtripping across the USA in my '69 Cougar. For those who don't know, the Cougar is basically a Mustang with different sheetmetal and a 3" longer wheelbase, so that's why I feel alright posting this on VMF. Anyway, if anyone want's to follow along, here's the link to my blog, Calamity Jane style!

Let me know if there are any issues with it, as I have never used something like this before any everything is new to me!

Wish Me Luck!

Ken

#2 ·
Hello, and good luck! I'm sure you'll have a blast and that your car will be great. Please be sure to take covid precautions.

A tip on the photos in your blog - when you insert them into the blog post, there will be a little menu that pops up beneath it that gives you the option to select picture size. It defaults to small, which is too small for most users. People like to see big photos! I usually just change that to Large or Extra Large. It's a real PITA to do for a bunch of photos because for some reason the site doesn't let you just default to a certain size, but it is what it is.

#8 ·
Your blogs are super awesome! Any trips this year

Your travel blog is so awesome! Such an inspiration to take on one of those. One day I’m going to follow suit and get my 68’ way out there. Any big trips planned for 2020? Or staying out of travel during this pandemic debacle?

#3 ·
I'm in! Kind of a mini bucket list of mine, road trip across the states in a 60's musclecar. There was a gentleman on the FE forum that did a couple weeks out in his 68 Galaxie convertible. Good stories, good times! I'll ride w/ you in spirit! Ha! Robert

#4 ·
I wish I had the time for a few thousand mile journey
would be the best thing in the world for my engine and tranny

most i ever go nowadays is 25 miles here or there and right back to the garage

#6 ·
Hi Everyone,

I've been reading a lot more than posting for the last few years, but that might change a bit considering my current undertaking. I'm roadtripping across the USA in my '69 Cougar. For those who don't know, the Cougar is basically a Mustang with different sheetmetal and a 3" longer wheelbase, so that's why I feel alright posting this on VMF. Anyway, if anyone want's to follow along, here's the link to my blog, Calamity Jane style!

Let me know if there are any issues with it, as I have never used something like this before any everything is new to me!

Wish Me Luck!

Ken
That’s awesome! Good luck! I wish I could do that in my 68 Mustang. But it’s not quite there, only has only a few thousand miles on its rebuilds. I am planning to drive from D.C. to Grand Canyon, So. Cal and maybe Seattle in my Audi S4.
Mustang will get an trip to Asheville and up the Smokies this Fall though!

#9 ·
@Kelly_H Thanks for the tips on the pictures, I'll update that. #1 thing I have learned so far is that the car doesn't have to be perfect (or really anywhere close) to make something like this work. It's loud, doesn't have overdrive, and is buring about a quart every 500 miles of highway 3000rpm miles, but it's getting me there!

Ken

#10 · (Edited)
And COVID protections are definitely being taken into account. Masks everywhere, even though I definitely getting some weird looks at gas stations in Ohio and Indiana!

Also, I just updated! This link should bring you to all the post so I don't have to post each day directly. I'll still let everyone know when I post an update.

Ken

#19 ·
Like Kelly, I've driven mine all over the US- 430,000+ miles so far. 44 states, Canada & Mexico and the virus stopped the trip this year! Mine is a 64 convert, rarely ever put the top up and love to back roads. So far, we've done most of RT 66, Lincoln Hwy., National Road, Lewis & Clark Hwy., Beartooth Hwy., PCH, US 1, and roads that we can't remember. Fortunately, I do have OD (wore out a few and 3 rears as well), and a 22 gal tank. Range is roughly 500 miles. Driving a classic is like nothing else. Modern cars just don't have that feel or get the responses from people along the way. Have a blast and keep us posted and lots of pics. Kelly needs to look into a Granada OD- basically a toploader re-done as a 3 speed w/ OD. Bolts right in, use the toploader tailshaft and all the linkage and shifter swaps over. They're also a lot cheaper- last rebuilt one I got was $200. Doesn't require all the mods a T-5 swaps needs.

#27 ·
Kelly needs to look into a Granada OD- basically a toploader re-done as a 3 speed w/ OD. Bolts right in, use the toploader tailshaft and all the linkage and shifter swaps over. They're also a lot cheaper- last rebuilt one I got was $200. Doesn't require all the mods a T-5 swaps needs.
Dang, if i had known that before i did the T5 swap, I might have looked into it.

#21 ·
That overdrive toploader does sound like a good gig, especially since my second gear is effectively useless... I think the syncros are worn out because it pops out of second on even the slightest hint of deceleration. Luckily, my cam choice and the virtues of a bolt-on 351W mean that I can putter around at 1000rpm in third gear without care, even with 3.00's in the rear.

Blog is seconds away from being updated, btw. The breakdown meant a change from the original timeline.

Ken

#23 ·
That overdrive toploader does sound like a good gig, especially since my second gear is effectively useless... I think the syncros are worn out because it pops out of second on even the slightest hint of deceleration.
Before I rebuilt my Toploader, I had the same problem. Ran it by Mark at Toploader Heaven and he suggested a new 2d gear. Bought a new one and the problem never happened again. Still wonder what happened to that guy and why he suddenly disappeared.

#25 ·
Have to say I had a good giggle at your posts - they are very reminiscent of the trips that I take with Jane. You've always gotta stay upbeat even when **** is (apparently literally, for you) hitting the fan! Glad to see you've patched your way through. I, too, do the compulsive "eyeball check" at every gas station stop - pop the hood, give everything the hairy eyeball, see what I've forgotten to install / tighten / torque correctly. Sometimes people come up to me and ask, "What's wrong with it?" and I always just say "Well nothing, yet..." Truthfully I have very few problems with Jane these days, but the ones that do pop up are the ones that I should have known were coming and was just too lazy to fix.

Driving adjacent to giant storms through the midwest / west Texas is one of my favorite things to do. Driving through the Midwest itself sucks on a sunny, boring day. But add the right lighting and drama and suddenly it is nothing short of amazing. I took this photo with my cell phone as I was headed into a storm in Kansas once, and it remains one of my favorites that I've ever taken.

I have driven through some absolutely insane deluges in Jane. Deep standing water is really no joke when you hit it! Once I yanked off half of my exhaust system in a puddle but I didn't want to stop because it was raining super hard and I didn't want to be wet, so I just let the car sound like an underwater diesel truck until I had gotten out from under the storm. But man it scares the hell out of you when it yanks you hard to the left or right. I am very watchful for those kinds of things in the rain.

Hope you are enjoying the Badlands - I had a great time when I went a few years ago! It is very dry but man is it beautiful. Wall Drug is a real kick too.

#26 ·
So my old home town (Sioux Falls) got you all fixed up?! Glad to hear and if I was still living there you would have a had a warm bed and a cold beer along with a free overnight.

Looking forward to your impression of the four heads - Mt Rushmore - always takes my breath away when walking up to it and first viewing it, even after seeing it in person so many times I've lost count. If you get a chance take a visit to the Crazy Horse Memorial. It is well worth the 3-4 hours to spend there.

Yepper you can get free ice water at Wall Drug and worth the stop just for its quirkiness.

Safe travels and will be following along.

John

Reactions: F23 and Turnall
#28 ·
I drive so much, as does Kelly, that I really don't like contributing to oil company profits. Running close to 20 mpg's the way I drive ( if it has 4 holes, I use all 4 holes) and I can pass gas stations all day with that 500 mile range! I was using the truck version of the Granada OD so I has a .69 final, same as the T-5 now. I wore out my 3.25 and put in a 2.80 for the last trip from LA to FL, so it got even better mpg's. I have to hit around 90 to get to 3K rpm's.

#30 ·
Well the oil companies are definitely making a profit off of me during this trip!

Badlands was jaw dropping. I tried my best, but no pictures can do that place justice. If you have to drive across the country to see it, leave today! And having lunch at Mt. Rushmore wasn't too bad either!

Blog is getting updated tonight with tons of pics!

Ken

#31 ·
Well the oil companies are definitely making a profit off of me during this trip!

Badlands was jaw dropping. I tried my best, but no pictures can do that place justice. If you have to drive across the country to see it, leave today! And having lunch at Mt. Rushmore wasn't too bad either!

Blog is getting updated tonight with tons of pics!

Ken
Just finished reading your latest blog entry. The Badlands are beautiful in pictures but oh so awesome in person. Happy to read that you were able to experience an overnight there with all of the beauty it entails. Equally happy to hear that you didn't wake up with a visit from a local prairie rattler invading your sleeping space.

Keystone does have that weird touristy vibe but IMO it's just the locals cashing in on the tourist season in order to survive the long winter months.

Let me know if your southern route brings you through the Mobile, AL area (I-10) as I'm on the eastern side of Mobile Bay. My offer of a comfortable bed and a cold beer(s) still stands.

John

#33 ·
Cool trip you're undertaking. Breakdowns seem to be highlights of my road trips with quite friendly folks across the country. I carry a small aluminum floor jack, alum jack stands, hand tools, spare hoses, belts, water pump, thermostat, alternator, fluids and electrical just in case.

God speed on your journey.

#34 ·
Just got out of Yellowstone after a 2 day stay! Blog will be updated tonight, and there is more good news: I'm going to be able to save all the Badland's pictures that I thought I had lost due to a SD card error in my camera!

Thanks for following along!

Ken

#35 ·
Update posted, and I included a review of my current suspension setup.

Is anyone within ~1hr of Portland, Oregon, is free Wednesday late-afternoon/night, and would be willing to lend me a jack and jackstands to help me check fluid levels in my trans and pumpkin, plus check for any bolts that have/are in the process of rattling out? Taking COVID seriously is a must.

Also, and I can't believe I waited so long to do this, but I found a program that would let me map out all my planned stops on a map. The routes are computer generated and subject to change, but most of the points are pretty set.

Thanks for following along!

Ken

#37 ·
Also, and I can't believe I waited so long to do this, but I found a program that would let me map out all my planned stops on a map. The routes are computer generated and subject to change, but most of the points are pretty set.
Great reports. Enjoy reading them. What's the program that you used to create the map? And yes, change the date typo!

Reactions: F23
#36 ·
Ken,

I’m greatly enjoying your travel blog. I haven’t been to Yellowstone, but I’m of the same mind. It’s pretty low on my list of must sees. We also loved our trip to the Badlands. Our favorite national parks are the Utah national parks. BTW, you may want to change “1972” to “1872” in your blog.

Safe travels!

Scott

#39 ·
With all that Mike Maier goodness on your Cougar and looking at your planned route, you should stop by his shop! They’re right outside of San Fran. I bet he’d love to get a look at your install and might be able to look at the steering box play while you’re there. You should give him a heads up that you’ll be coming through on xx date/time and see if stopping in makes sense. That would be super cool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.