Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I've been reading a lot more than posting for the last few years, but that might change a bit considering my current undertaking. I'm roadtripping across the USA in my '69 Cougar. For those who don't know, the Cougar is basically a Mustang with different sheetmetal and a 3" longer wheelbase, so that's why I feel alright posting this on VMF. Anyway, if anyone want's to follow along, here's the link to my blog, Calamity Jane style!

Let me know if there are any issues with it, as I have never used something like this before any everything is new to me!

Wish Me Luck!

Ken

·
VMF Ambassador
6,615 Posts
Hello, and good luck! I'm sure you'll have a blast and that your car will be great. Please be sure to take covid precautions.

A tip on the photos in your blog - when you insert them into the blog post, there will be a little menu that pops up beneath it that gives you the option to select picture size. It defaults to small, which is too small for most users. People like to see big photos! I usually just change that to Large or Extra Large. It's a real PITA to do for a bunch of photos because for some reason the site doesn't let you just default to a certain size, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm in! Kind of a mini bucket list of mine, road trip across the states in a 60's musclecar. There was a gentleman on the FE forum that did a couple weeks out in his 68 Galaxie convertible. Good stories, good times! I'll ride w/ you in spirit! Ha! Robert

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I wish I had the time for a few thousand mile journey
would be the best thing in the world for my engine and tranny

most i ever go nowadays is 25 miles here or there and right back to the garage

·
Registered
677 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I've been reading a lot more than posting for the last few years, but that might change a bit considering my current undertaking. I'm roadtripping across the USA in my '69 Cougar. For those who don't know, the Cougar is basically a Mustang with different sheetmetal and a 3" longer wheelbase, so that's why I feel alright posting this on VMF. Anyway, if anyone want's to follow along, here's the link to my blog, Calamity Jane style!

Let me know if there are any issues with it, as I have never used something like this before any everything is new to me!

Wish Me Luck!

Ken
That’s awesome! Good luck! I wish I could do that in my 68 Mustang. But it’s not quite there, only has only a few thousand miles on its rebuilds. I am planning to drive from D.C. to Grand Canyon, So. Cal and maybe Seattle in my Audi S4.
Mustang will get an trip to Asheville and up the Smokies this Fall though!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Good luck and enjoy the trip. Should be a great memory. I’ll be following along.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Hello, and good luck! I'm sure you'll have a blast and that your car will be great. Please be sure to take covid precautions.

A tip on the photos in your blog - when you insert them into the blog post, there will be a little menu that pops up beneath it that gives you the option to select picture size. It defaults to small, which is too small for most users. People like to see big photos! I usually just change that to Large or Extra Large. It's a real PITA to do for a bunch of photos because for some reason the site doesn't let you just default to a certain size, but it is what it is.
Your blogs are super awesome! Any trips this year

Your travel blog is so awesome! Such an inspiration to take on one of those. One day I’m going to follow suit and get my 68’ way out there. Any big trips planned for 2020? Or staying out of travel during this pandemic debacle?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Kelly_H Thanks for the tips on the pictures, I'll update that. #1 thing I have learned so far is that the car doesn't have to be perfect (or really anywhere close) to make something like this work. It's loud, doesn't have overdrive, and is buring about a quart every 500 miles of highway 3000rpm miles, but it's getting me there!

Ken

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
And COVID protections are definitely being taken into account. Masks everywhere, even though I definitely getting some weird looks at gas stations in Ohio and Indiana!

Also, I just updated! This link should bring you to all the post so I don't have to post each day directly. I'll still let everyone know when I post an update.

Ken

·
VMF Ambassador
6,615 Posts
Your blogs are super awesome! Any trips this year

Your travel blog is so awesome! Such an inspiration to take on one of those. One day I’m going to follow suit and get my 68’ way out there. Any big trips planned for 2020? Or staying out of travel during this pandemic debacle?
Make it happen! "One day" only comes as fast as you make it :) Unfortunately I am grounded for this summer due to the pandemic, hoping that the US gets its act together by late this fall so maybe I can do a quick week-long run to somewhere nearby. But this will be the first year in a long time that I haven't had a major trip planned.

@Kelly_H Thanks for the tips on the pictures, I'll update that. #1 thing I have learned so far is that the car doesn't have to be perfect (or really anywhere close) to make something like this work. It's loud, doesn't have overdrive, and is buring about a quart every 500 miles of highway 3000rpm miles, but it's getting me there!

And COVID protections are definitely being taken into account. Masks everywhere, even though I definitely getting some weird looks at gas stations in Ohio and Indiana!

Ken
Yep, that really is the truth - it is remarkable how far "good enough" will get you! It really cracks me up when people are all freaked out about their classic cars not being perfect, but then they get in their modern daily and half of the warning lights on the dash are lit up. "Ahhhh it's fine," they always say. To be fair, it's easier to get a modern car repaired at any shop around the country. BUT on the other hand, it takes like two sticks and some spit to make a vintage Mustang work passably enough, and you don't have to worry about a computer putting it into limp mode.

I've got 3.25 rear gears and no overdrive as well - people love to tell me how I just NEEDDDDD to get a T5, but I'd rather have an indestructible Toploader that spins a little higher RPMs, thank you very much. A 289 will happily rev all day long anyways so it's not going to hurt it any. I guess it would be nice for it to not be so dang loud all the time, but then again I'm driving something that is marginally more aerodynamic than a brick, at 85 MPH, with the windows down. Overdrive won't save me from that level of noise! I kind of like it though (or I wouldn't drive with my window down, obviously) - it makes for a really interesting contrast when you get out of your car at a really quiet national park. First you're rumbling along making all kinds of racket, then you shut off the motor and it's just... silence. Nothing but the wind and the trees and maybe a bird calling from a mile away. I think that's great.

About the oil - if you toss a bit of a heavier weight motor oil in there next time you do a change (or whenever you are having to fill it up), it'll burn less of it. Heavier weight is fine for our motors in hot climates. I actually run 15W-50 in mine year-round, but I live in Texas (so I never see actual cold weather). I'd rather have 10W-30 or 10W-40, but it is really easy to get good Mobil1 oil in a 15W-50 that has enough ZDDP in it for a flat tappet motor, so I use it anyways. A nice side effect is that I don't burn oil when I'm turning 3500+ RPM on the Texas highways.

Glad to hear that you are keeping yourself (and others) safe. A lot of people are not taking this seriously and the last thing we need is another person ping-ponging around the States with no regard for the health of others!

Keep on rockin'

·
Registered
677 Posts
Make it happen! "One day" only comes as fast as you make it :) Unfortunately I am grounded for this summer due to the pandemic, hoping that the US gets its act together by late this fall so maybe I can do a quick week-long run to somewhere nearby. But this will be the first year in a long time that I haven't had a major trip planned.
That's a bummer! But I totally understand. I hope this thing isn't going to be 1918 100 years later. I will be visiting remote places (national parks, mountains and hiking along the way) and wearing a mask where ever I go. I've definitely been 'someday-ing' a cross country trip. The 68's just not ready for the task of a 6,000 to 8000 mile drive yet as I am hitting the desert SW + West Coast all the way from Northern Virginia. But I will definitely get it out to the North Carolina mountains this driving season which is a good little trip and a really beautiful one. I've been almost 20 years patient to once again become a classic Mustang owner (first was a 67' in 2000) so I can definitely be patient and wait one more year ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey, soooooooooooo.... Anyone lives near Worthington, MN have a spare thermal fan clutch for a 351W?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Hey, soooooooooooo.... Anyone lives near Worthington, MN have a spare thermal fan clutch for a 351W?
If you order one through CJPP or NPD and pay express shipping you can probably get to meet you quickly. Or if you’re staying put for a few days.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
looks like if you press on an hour more to Sioux Falls, Dakota Auto Parts has one in stock.
As always, call ahead...

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Like Kelly, I've driven mine all over the US- 430,000+ miles so far. 44 states, Canada & Mexico and the virus stopped the trip this year! Mine is a 64 convert, rarely ever put the top up and love to back roads. So far, we've done most of RT 66, Lincoln Hwy., National Road, Lewis & Clark Hwy., Beartooth Hwy., PCH, US 1, and roads that we can't remember. Fortunately, I do have OD (wore out a few and 3 rears as well), and a 22 gal tank. Range is roughly 500 miles. Driving a classic is like nothing else. Modern cars just don't have that feel or get the responses from people along the way. Have a blast and keep us posted and lots of pics. Kelly needs to look into a Granada OD- basically a toploader re-done as a 3 speed w/ OD. Bolts right in, use the toploader tailshaft and all the linkage and shifter swaps over. They're also a lot cheaper- last rebuilt one I got was $200. Doesn't require all the mods a T-5 swaps needs.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
I've got 3.25 rear gears and no overdrive as well - people love to tell me how I just NEEDDDDD to get a T5, but I'd rather have an indestructible Toploader that spins a little higher RPMs, thank you very much. A 289 will happily rev all day long anyways so it's not going to hurt it any. I guess it would be nice for it to not be so dang loud all the time, but then again I'm driving something that is marginally more aerodynamic than a brick, at 85 MPH, with the windows down. Overdrive won't save me from that level of noise! I kind of like it though (or I wouldn't drive with my window down, obviously)
Amen sister!

Kelly needs to look into a Granada OD- basically a toploader re-done as a 3 speed w/ OD. Bolts right in, use the toploader tailshaft and all the linkage and shifter swaps over. They're also a lot cheaper- last rebuilt one I got was $200. Doesn't require all the mods a T-5 swaps needs.
Those of you with OD act like spinning an engine at 3400 rpm at 70 mph is a bad thing?!?!?!? I don't run it for the gas mileage! :)

1 - 20 of 82 Posts