Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok earlier i posted on a carb poping prob. I pulled the valve cover on the pass. side ade the fourth rocker arm from the front(#2 exhaust??)had turned sideways. I looked at the pushrod and it looked fine. I have not pulled the valve covers since I bought it in Jan. It is a week end driver and I haven't put many miles on it since purchase. Yesterday was the first time I have really got to drive it since the front end rebuild. Do you think the arms were just not torqued snug enough and the arm came loose? Or could there be a more serious cause to make this happen.

·
Registered
683 Posts
They do work loose; see my post a few lines after yours. You can get the poly locks, or just get 16 fine thread nuts at your local hardware store and run them down on top, AFTER you have re-adjusted them. Since you have to have both valve covers off to put the locks on, you might as well go ahead and put yourself through the adjustment process.

Mine ran much smoother after I did this procedure. I had not done it since getting the engine from the PO, and should have. The difference is pretty substantial.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I chased down a dead cylinder a couple weeks ago and found one of my rockers on #8 was brocken on the pushrod side. No damage at all to the pushrod. I was never so happy when I pulled the valve cover and discovered the reason for the dead cylinder was such a simple fix ::

·
Registered
488 Posts
I had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago too. Turned out that I had a couple of lifters collapsed. Car had been sitting for 13 years prior though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.