Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
When you put random stuff together, random things happen. I'm guessing that with this lack of attention to detail, geometry at the valve was not carefully considered.

When you put it back together, I would urge you strongly to consider linkbar roller rockers and a roller cam (if it doesn't already have that setup). Modern flat tappet lifters are suffering major reliability and build quality issues. All of them.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
At the very least here, I think I'd pull the intake and look down through the lifter valley at your cam and lifters. Frankly, you're going to have to pull the head to fix that valve anyway - and almost certainly some of the others, even if their rockers haven't fallen off. If you have this level of hanky-panky going on at the head, who knows what it's like in there? As @64-1/2 first.... 66 now mentions, the rocker that died was not compatible with your heads; it needs an early slotted 289 head, or guides. It was bound to fall off the valve and die.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Roller rockers are unimportant unless you spend a lot of time at high rpms. More expense, less reliability. Less friction, which really only shows up at 6k+. Still, if it's in your budget, they're neat!

Roller lifters are critical, with the garbage "new" flat tappets being made though!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts