Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I was under the assumption I could use the originals until I researched a bit
That's another negatory, Good Buddy. The Aluminum heads will require a completely different valve train geometry and different rocker arms. I would suggest something like Harlan Sharp rollers. Then you will need an adjustable push rod to determine what the length should be. Search online for that procedure. It involves marking the valve tip with a sharpie, turning the engine and seeing where the rocker contacts the valve. Once you determine the correct push rod length, you will have order custom, hardened push rods. That could take a while.

Sorry, but them's the facts.

·
Registered
66 coupe with a 302 mystery motor
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
That's another negatory, Good Buddy. The Aluminum heads will require a completely different valve train geometry and different rocker arms. I would suggest something like Harlan Sharp rollers. Then you will need an adjustable push rod to determine what the length should be. Search online for that procedure. It involves marking the valve tip with a sharpie, turning the engine and seeing where the rocker contacts the valve. Once you determine the correct push rod length, you will have order custom, hardened push rods. That could take a while.

Sorry, but them's the facts.
Yeah that’s what I’ve found. I have a flat tappet cam and lifters so can I use roller rockers?

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Yeah that’s what I’ve found. I have a flat tappet cam and lifters so can I use roller rockers?
Absolutely you can. There are many good roller rockers on the market. But there are also some lousy rockers out there, so don't just buy what's cheap. I went with Lunati roller rockers, but as I said, the Harlan Sharp rockers are good quality at a good price. Those have been around forever and have proven reliable.

Since you have a hydraulic cam, you will have to get a solid lifter to use the adjustable push rod. I've heard of people also disassembling a hydraulic lifter and putting washers in it for the same affect. My cam is a solid, flat tappet, so I was able to use a lifter as-is. Once you get the roller rockers, determine how high they sit for selecting valve covers.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Roller rockers are unimportant unless you spend a lot of time at high rpms. More expense, less reliability. Less friction, which really only shows up at 6k+. Still, if it's in your budget, they're neat!

Roller lifters are critical, with the garbage "new" flat tappets being made though!

·
Registered
889 Posts
You're going to have to tear that puppy down. All the metal shavings have gone through the motor. Sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Yes/no, maybe so. But I’d be cutting the filter open before yanking the motor out.
You know there is going to be metal in the filter. So then at least your going to have to pull the pan and check bearings and crank. Just pull it and be done with it. Wishful thinking if you don't think there isn't damage in there.

·
Registered
66 coupe with a 302 mystery motor
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
You know there is going to be metal in the filter. So then at least your going to have to pull the pan and check bearings and crank. Just pull it and be done with it. Wishful thinking if you don't think there isn't damage in there.
I’m actually thinking that it’s not damage. Like someone else said. Looks like a cutoff wheel did that. I think he was trying to make a homemade rail rocker

·
Registered
889 Posts
I’m actually thinking that it’s not damage. Like someone else said. Looks like a cutoff wheel did that. I think he was trying to make a homemade rail rocker
Maybe, but the stud broke off. And if that was the case that someone ground that part of the rocker he went through the hardness of the rocker and it wore. That metal had to go some where and maybe the filter caught it but, I still would tear it apart and check everything. At least replace the oil pump.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts